PDA

View Full Version : How to relocate overflow Bottle

Mechanix311
07-02-2005, 09:47 PM
I am finally getting around to putting my r together and i just had my frame i bought off of ebay podercoated. Well with my luck i go to put on my overflow bottle and the mounts are gone. I imagine this frame was raced for someone to do this. Anyway i was wondering how they relocate the overflow bottle to bolt on to the air scoop. I have seen this on a few bikes and i think it is my best bet. I was also wondering what kind of bottle these people are using. Looks like it is off of a predator but i am not sure. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

hontrx265r
07-03-2005, 06:41 AM
I would just lay the bottle up on the air shroud and mark and drill a couple holes. put them in with rubber mounts and lock nuts. I believe what you are seeing most of the time is the walsh setup and that is the bottle they are using, from walsh. you can look at it under radiators and 250r at walshracecraft.com

nwi45
07-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Can you compleltly cut out the use of the overflow bottle and just not use one?

hollywood250r
07-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by nwi45
Can you compleltly cut out the use of the overflow bottle and just not use one?

You can and some do but you will no longer have a closed system. Would you remove the overflow bottle from you car? When the coolant expands if there is not bottle you will lose some coolant. If you do not have a bottle you will have to keep an eye on your radiator. Also the level in the bottle can be used as a check. If you are constantly adding fluid to the bottle you know there is a leak somewhere.

nwi45
07-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Where do you mount the bottle then? I bought an R without one, and I'm not sure where to mount it. I don't think I can mount it to my shrouds because I have plastic Fullbore shrouds.

HiperEX
07-03-2005, 04:11 PM
just dont even use the overflow i dont run one on mine

ZRider400
07-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
just dont even use the overflow i dont run one on mine

ditto.

i didnt run one on my 250r, and dont on the 450r either.

nacs400ex
07-03-2005, 06:14 PM
I personally run an overflow bottle, why wouldn't you. It adds most like 2-3lbs. Gives you good assurance while your riding. One less thing to worry about. I was thinking of running a hose just above my exhaust so it will let off steam if it overflows. But decided against it.

The only reason I can see not running one, is if your just riding MX you wont be checking your overflow bottle while your riding on the track.

Generally, the overflow bottle is on the subframe on a stock R, where the shock rezzy mounts. I want to move my up front near the rad.

deathman53
07-03-2005, 07:23 PM
order the overflow for a polaris preditor, its the same one that walsh uses. walsh gets like $40 for it and you can get it from polaris for under $25

brokenbones
07-03-2005, 08:43 PM
i run a motion pro overflow bottle its cheap and works just fine up front resting on shrouds saftey wired in place

cheap like 12.00 thru motion pro

my 2 cents

Mechanix311
07-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Thank you all so much. i thought it looked like a overflow off of a predator.

TheFontMaster
07-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Whats the advantage in moving the overflow tank? And since I haven't got one for my R yet, which is the better way to go, a stock one, or use a predator one and mount it to the radiator shrouds?

87250rxrider
07-04-2005, 07:44 AM
the advantage of moving the overflow bottle is because the normal(stock) location of the bottle is on the subframe, where you can't see it while you are riding, racing, etc... if you relocate the overflow bottle to your radiator shrouds it becomes visible, so you can see the bottle and the coolant level as your riding, racing, etc...if your going to use one, use the predator's overflow tank, and mount it to the radiator shrouds, so you know whats going on at all times. hope that helps
-Ryan