PDA

View Full Version : Engine Help

GrounD PoundeR
05-29-2002, 02:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out what I can or want to do to increase my power. I've talked to some suppliers on the Exriders link page, but I feel as if I'm being lead in circles... This part is better...
Well now I'm asking ya'll what I should do for the best bang for the buck. I already have the K&N power kit still waiting to be installed. I already know that I need exhaust but still trying to decide what type....Curtis Sparks 600 series, Big Gun......Yoshi..
Cam.....XR400, webcam stage ?.

Let me know what and if they no a place with great prices...

05-29-2002, 02:55 PM
my feelings are that if you are just going to install bolt on items just go with a slip on exhaust. If you are going to get more motor work done go with one of the motor builders pipes like lrd or sparks. The XR cam doesn't do much especially by it's self, but you do not have to have your rockers hardened with it.

i really like the 426 kits that are out with a little bit of porting a 11-1 piston LRD or sparks pipewith an agressive cam from web cam with hardend rockers. this will be fast amd extemely reliable.
For Dirt Only in Johnstown OH does all of my work for me and i love it. call mike at 740-967-1078

GrounD PoundeR
05-29-2002, 03:43 PM
I was first looking at a 426 JE kit from Marcum's. ChadExer hooked me up with a guy locally to port and polish everthing. The only thing left would be to assemble the engine. I think I should be able to do that with a honda book. Rebuilt plenty of transmissions with the help of Haines manuals.....

I hate the idea of sending my engine off and waiting 3 weeks or more.

super_man37366
05-29-2002, 08:23 PM
get a gaydon ( Dirt Wheels states: "These puppies Bark")... I would go with it plus in a issue of drt wheels they said they could fill a 25% increase over stock on the 250ex. Later Super_Man

GrounD PoundeR
05-29-2002, 08:35 PM
I guess I should have put in my profile I own a 400EX.

mcmike
05-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Doing all of that engine work will increase your chance for engine failure. If you haven't built a quad engine before, you would be better off waiting until your motor dies before tearing it appart, unless you have an unlimited expence account. Stick with a good aftermarket slip on pipe. Your buddies may outrun you today, but tomarrow you'll be riding past their broken down *****'s.:huh

GrounD PoundeR
05-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Thats not always true.
There are easy mods to do like adding a 11:1 piston without boring. I just dont know where to begin with mine. So much to do so little to to do it in.

As for adding a 416 kit or 425 kit well there are plenty of people here that have them and have been running for a long time..

I know people running nitro on stock LT1's for several years no problems. The key is you abuse you loose. I'm just trying to stay in that little gray area. :D

ChadEXer
05-30-2002, 10:40 AM
Hey man,
I found out doing work on mine that no matter how fast it went I wanted it to go faster:D guess if the 505 dont do it I better start looking for a new bike!!(that will never happen,,Im a Honda man forever!!)
As for the motor kits I think you would be fine going with a 416 or a 425. i have a good friend with a 416 and he has had it for over a year and he rides the piss out of it,,,only problem he has had was in his clutch basket because his bike pulls so hard!!! the guy that built his is the same guy that built my 416. he is my friend I was telling you about that works at the honda shop here. Also just to let you know, Donnie at the machine shop i refered you to would do the work for you to! he is always building or rebuilding somebodies motor in there and he knows what he is doing, you could always ask him what he would charge you to do the work,,,if you did the porting\polishing and installing the kit all at once he would probably give you a good deal on it!! its an option anyway, you can just do like you say and do it yourself to save the money, but if it was me it would cost me more that way because i would mess something up then have to have it all done over:D
As far as the pipes go, i would say TC or Sparks. if you want to save a little and get a slip on get the TC(Tom says the stock header is the best anyway) or you can get the Sparks pipe, its nice too!!! Check out what i did with my stock header(cost me $15)

250xman
05-30-2002, 11:05 AM
hey yall live around me so how much do you think it would cost me to have my motor bored out and labor? i'm lookin for somemore power and this seems the way to go.

JustRace
05-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Before my 440 i had a JE 10.8:1 stock bore piston, white brothers track cam, white brothers rev limiter and big gun exhaust. That would be able to hold its own against STOCK banshees.

One thing I would say is to get a aftermarket carb. A lot of people have said that it feels like a whole new quad even after they install it on a modded motor. Plus if you have the carb and decide to go with a 416, 426, 400, or any other motor combination, you will already have the carb to suit the motor.