PDA

View Full Version : Question about electrical, and key ignition.

400exbiggun
07-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Ok, i have a question here about hooking up something different than a key. I always tend to lose my keys, and usually ill run out of the house get on my quad and totally forget to bring the key with me. Then have to run back in and search hi and low for it.

We did this on my friends yz125, but im not sure about a electric start quad. I was wondering if this is possible. I want to get a switch, like a toggle switch, or just a normal switch for like turning on a ps2 or something. Leaving the stock key ignition in place as a dummy thats not functional. Just leave it in with no harness hooked up to it. Then to splice into the real key harness and take a wire going to the ignition and put it into the switch. This way the switch is as the new key. And just hide it. We did this on the yz and it was real easy only for the fact that with that we cut into the stator wires to turn spark on and off, then hid it up under the tank hidden so when he reaches down to get off the bike he flips the switch out of view and no one knows.

Now is this a idea that could happen? My only problem is it would need to fully cut all power so not to drain the battery.

Doibugu2
07-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I did this and it didn't work to well. I never found a switch that could stand up to the abuse and dirt. I had to use a 3 way switch, so that I could start and stop the quad all with the switch.

plkmonster2
07-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Leave your key in the quad. That is all I do. I would take it out, but there is no threat of it being stolen around here. Or you could put the key in a bag int he toolbox, or in one of those hide a key things.

bigballz400
07-03-2005, 10:02 AM
i leave my key in all the time no matter wat

darkstar
07-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Put the key under the set. or put in you air box at the end of the day.