PDA

View Full Version : stuck castle nut help

jp8400ex
07-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Has anyone had a problem removing the castle nut that holds the wheel hub to the rear axle? I got the left side off but the right side will not budge. I tried my impact, a 3 foot breaker bar, and i have soaked it in penetrating oil but have had no luck. I was thinking i'm going to have to grind the nut off unless someone else has a better idea.

Crazy400EX
07-02-2005, 10:35 AM
dont grind it.......just keep working on it..... use something for some extra leverage....that will get it off eventually...mine didnt want to come off either.

Chino
07-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by jp8400ex
Has anyone had a problem removing the castle nut that holds the wheel hub to the rear axle? I got the left side off but the right side will not budge. I tried my impact, a 3 foot breaker bar, and i have soaked it in penetrating oil but have had no luck. I was thinking i'm going to have to grind the nut off unless someone else has a better idea.

when ur using all of these tools are u using so much force that the axle is actually slipping on you causing u not to get as much force on it as u would like? If so, stick something through the sprocket and run it under the swingarm to jam it in there so ur axle will no longer spin when u go to loosen the castle nut. I had to do this exact same thing last weekend on a buddies bike and it worked excellent. First try it finally came off.

86-250Rnut
07-02-2005, 12:21 PM
are you turning the nut the right way????lmao. and put your breaker bar on there and they slip a pipe or the hand to get that extra leverage and keep soaking it with penatration oil.

jp8400ex
07-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey guys thanks for advice. I put an old piece of steel pipe i had lying around over the top of my breaker bar giving myself about 6 feet of leverage! Squirted some more penetrating oil on it, used my jack handle to brace the axle and just gave it hell and the sucker finally came loose!

Chino
07-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by jp8400ex
Hey guys thanks for advice. I put an old piece of steel pipe i had lying around over the top of my breaker bar giving myself about 6 feet of leverage! Squirted some more penetrating oil on it, used my jack handle to brace the axle and just gave it hell and the sucker finally came loose!

:muscle:

rooster300ex
07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
"git er dun" lol