PDA

View Full Version : Inserts on gas tank?

Pappy
07-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I ran into a snag when changing out my plastic tonight. the top fender mounts where they attach to the gas tank free spin and will not come out.

any ideas on getting these out without trashing the fenders or the tank? im stuck looking like a cop:(

07-01-2005, 07:05 PM
pretty sure this fix requires you to replace the whole gas tank...the cause of this is tightening up your screws into those holes too tight. contact honda and see if they will replace it. I have heard of about 1/2 the cases they do.

Pappy
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
i know i did not over tighten them, the stock petcock is doing the same thing and honda set that puppy up!

its a brass insert pressed into a molded sleeve with small knurled edges. i do agree that over tightening would lead to this, but i dont think its the main cause.

i just want them out without trashing parts:scary:

mikes450r
07-01-2005, 07:10 PM
the same thing happened to 2 of my costmers bike..the first one my customer just pulled the plastic over the bolt then we just wedged a flat head in there and pulled it out..I was pretty suprised that it didnt do anything to the plastics...the other one i had to cut the top of the bolt off...

i think the problem is the little piece that has the flat washer on it and slides into the plastics...that things sits on top of the screw hole...that washer piece gets stuck on there...when i cut the head off and pulled the washer out the screw came right out with a set of pliers...it was pretty easy then..

mike

mikes450r
07-01-2005, 07:11 PM
oh ya when we took the tank to honda here they said that like them replacing an old tire..:mad:

thats how sorry our honda is here..

Pappy
07-01-2005, 07:13 PM
i figured that what would be my option. i have another tank here, ims natural tank, sure would have been nice to install it tonight!

07-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I have heard of people with the same problem. I also heard that Honda has warrantied some fuel tanks with this problem. The only thing to do is stretch the plastic around the washer.

BSTURDIVANT
07-01-2005, 09:08 PM
If you have a impact screw driver, it usually comes out- forces the insert down as it turns- otherwise will have to force the plastic over the washer.

R3Concepts
07-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Pappy- Take a pair of needle nose and hold the insert then loosen the 8mm...Its the insert that bottoms out on the tank insert..as the plastic wears it tightens down on the tank insert more and more, next time just space it out with another washer..We did this about a week ago.:p

blake_mx_racer
07-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I did the same thing yesterday tryin to get to my carb.

Blake

ZRider400
07-01-2005, 09:22 PM
i had that happen on my old CRF450 dirtbike, but its the same setup..

i just pulled the plastic over somehow, then ended up pulling the brass insert out of the tank and gluing it back in.

dart450r
07-02-2005, 05:07 AM
put an 8mm socket on the bolt and tap it a couple times, try it and if it doesn't come out, try again maybe tapping a little harder this time. alot of times at the dealership, if you do this, you'd be surprised how much of the stuff will come out.
i did this on our race bike with the same little bolts in the tank. and first time i tried tapping. it was loose. must be it loosens the bolts in the nt by stretching the threads a little.

T2RACING
07-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Good I thought this is a problem that I only had..

07-02-2005, 10:08 AM
i had the same problem...:(

450R_lover
07-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Same here.... just pull the plastic carefully over the head of the 8mm bolt then jam a small flat head screw driver between the brass bushing and the plastic of the tank. Then just losen the bolt. ;)

450 Racer R
07-03-2005, 08:42 PM
I got a stock tank, it's brand new still in the box. I haven't even opened the box yet. If anyone's interested, I'll post it in the classifieds section for cheap.:macho

Punk'd
07-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Pappy, same thing happend to me.. this is what i did.. it looks very stupid but whatever works eh?

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6862/img00306pj.jpg

It took about 8 or so to hold it without spinning.. then I filled in the holes and put super super glue on top.. Works for me so far lol (dont screw in deep) you know what will happen.. haha

mikes450r
07-03-2005, 10:49 PM
holy S H I T you went to town on that...lol

Pappy
07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
well the tank won i guess.

i ended up having to pull out the bolt and inserts. i did not see any type of adhesive so i can only geuss that the brass bungs are either pressed in after the tank is formed, or the tank is formed around the inserts.

i finally took a saw to remove the petcock.

for thos that think it was an over torque issue, might have been. but seeing i have never removed the petcock or the tang that the seat locks onto it would have to fall back on Honda.

be prepared, im sure others will suffer this fate.

goss2641
07-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Same thing happened to my buddy's bike and honda warrantied the tank. They told him to put anti seize on every bolt because of corrosion, so they know that it is a problem.