PDA

View Full Version : back breaks squeling

400exrider26
07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
my back brakes on my 04 400ex has just started to squel when i put enough pressure on them... why would this happen? i checked the break fluid, i have under the full line but still a little over the under line. its only mainly when i just use my back breaks without my fronts....

rooster_20
07-01-2005, 07:21 PM
you rear brake pads are probably wore out when the pad gets wore to the metal it begins to do this. You also could have metal flakes on your brake rotar that could also be the nois but i would say brakes are shot

DH400EX
07-01-2005, 07:39 PM
If you need break pads go to www.rockymountainatv.com to get them. They are like 12.99 a set, thats the cheapest ive saw them anywhere.

Chino
07-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by DH400EX
If you need break pads go to www.rockymountainatv.com to get them. They are like 12.99 a set, thats the cheapest ive saw them anywhere.

Your not getting a high quality pad for 12.99 that will hold up very long i gurantee you that..

400exrider26
07-02-2005, 07:12 AM
the guy at the honda store said the breaks on the 400ex and models alike when u ride in muddy, watery conditions, the break pads will wear out after every few months if you ride a decent amount! is this true! break pads arnt cheap($30) how much am i gunna have to replace these? how much are quality break pads?
IS IT HARD TO INSTALL BRAKE PADS CORRECTLY? I HEARD YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT ABOUT AIR GETTING IN YOU LINES AND ALL THAT STUFF....?? PLEASE HELP

47501exracer
07-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Chino
Your not getting a high quality pad for 12.99 that will hold up very long i gurantee you that..

I believe he is talking about Tusk pads. I have used them the last 3-4 times and they have good life IMO. I ususally get 2 GNCC races on the rear. DP pads are the best but for 30 bucks they are a little expensive.

Hey 400exrider 26,
When changing brake pads there is no way for air to get in the system. Just loosen the caliper off the mount, take the brake pad pin bolts off and the old pads will fall out. Then you use a clamp or strong hands to push the piston back into the caliper. Grease the pins and put the new brake pads on. Tighten everything back up. I usually don't have to add fluid to mine but once every 3-4 pad changes. Usually a 10 minute job.

plkmonster2
07-02-2005, 12:27 PM
If you are sure they are not worn out, take the pads off and clean them. Any dirt or sand ground into them will make them scream.

Chino
07-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 47501exracer
I believe he is talking about Tusk pads. I have used them the last 3-4 times and they have good life IMO. I ususally get 2 GNCC races on the rear. DP pads are the best but for 30 bucks they are a little expensive.

I totally agree, i'd rather run the DP pads and pay a lil extra and get a few more races out of them. When you really look at it hypothetically say u get 2 races out of a set of tusk rears that's about 15 bux for them after shipping. You get 4 or 5 races out of a set of DP pads that's 30 bux approximatley. So all in all, you could pay 15 bux twice for tusk pads to get through 4 races and change them twice. Or buy one set of Dp pads for 30 bux and change them say every 4 races. I guess when u look at it like that it's all in how many times u wanna change your pads.

:devil:

400exrider26
07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
is there any step by step instructions on how to change them.. they sound not that hard to change, but i want to make sure i now how to do them before i mess with them and screw them up... any pictures or diagrams would help...
WHAT KIND OF BREAK PADS SHOULD I GET?? SINTERED OR SEMI-METALLIC? WHAT WERE THE STOCK PADS MADE OF? THANKS

400exrider26
07-02-2005, 05:48 PM
bump

Sleeper
07-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider26
is there any step by step instructions on how to change them.. they sound not that hard to change, but i want to make sure i now how to do them before i mess with them and screw them up... any pictures or diagrams would help...
WHAT KIND OF BREAK PADS SHOULD I GET?? SINTERED OR SEMI-METALLIC? WHAT WERE THE STOCK PADS MADE OF? THANKS

Buy the honda manual. it's like $60.00 at rockymountain.com and you will answer all your questions. There was a guy selling bootleg downloads on hear a bit back though (not my bag). The honda manual is pretty decent. Not the be all end all that car companies put out, but then again the are far simpler machines,

Sleeper

400exrider26
07-03-2005, 08:10 AM
what were the stovck break pads made out of and what kind would be good for me to get>? SINTERED OR SEMI-METALLIC?

JukeU25
07-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I just changed the break pads on my 400 and the set cost me 35 and they work really good ... i will check and see who made them..as far as changing them its not bad work. it took me all of 40 minutes.. yes you really have to watch for air in yoru lines but if you bleed them right they should work fine... just MAKE SURE you bleed them enough even if you have to keep adding fluid... good luck

vinson581
07-08-2005, 06:55 AM
are you sik in the head? you dont need to bleed your brakes after changing pads.. its a sealed system, just compress the piston with your hands or a clamp, put the new pads on and your done its really a 10 min job like said before.....

JukeU25
07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
ok ok my fault .. this is true....but when i put my pads on some how air got into my lines so i had to... no you shouldnt have to bleed them but i certainly did

ex101
07-09-2005, 04:47 PM
If you have air in the system,you might as well bleed and flush the system.Throw some fresh fluid in!