PDA

View Full Version : Braking Brake Pads

CBRSLIDER
05-29-2002, 11:58 AM
Anyone ever had bad luck with Braking brake pads? The reason that I ask is because I put on a brand new rear set last wednesday. I took the wheeler on a dice run this past sunday and rode for about 3-4 hours and the brakes are shot. There is not one speck of pad left on the metal plates. Pure metal to metal contact on the disc. That was the only ride time I had on the pads. I have never gone through a set of pads in one year let alone one ride. I am amazed and pissed.

The pads were the semi-metallic pads. I thought that they were supposed to be the best ones Braking made. Oh well. Lesson learned. Don't use Braking pads.

Ray

Tommy 17
05-29-2002, 12:07 PM
i had them b4 this new set and they lasted right around a year... i was very pleased with them... i can't remember what type they were but they were around 29.99 if that helps any...

05-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Did you make sure the pins the pads slide on were good and clean. I know your pain I put some kevlar pads on and used them for about 4 or 5 hours and they were shot. I called Terry marcum and said send me the best pads you got. He sent me some expensive ones and said they would last a long time. I made sure to clean the rear caliper really good before I put the new ones on..so far they still look brand new.

CBRSLIDER
05-29-2002, 01:52 PM
Ya I cleaned everything really well. I made sure there weren't any grooves or rough spots on the pins. I just can't understand it. I called Marcum's(that's were I originally ordered them) and Terry told me to send them back. He said he'll try to take care of me. Oh well. Live and learn. That's the last set of Braking I buy. Jeff, from the quadshop, recommended Dunlopads. I'll give them a try next I guess.

Ray

Leo
06-01-2002, 04:57 PM
I've had a set of braking pads on the back of my quad since last January or so.. used them for ice racing, and lots of sloppy / wet / muddy spring trail-riding, they still look just like new.. To be honest I have no idea which type of pad they are, other than they were made by "braking" (only ones the shop had, and I needed them badly!)..

Leo

Leo
06-01-2002, 04:59 PM
did you check your brake lever.. grit has been know to get into the pivot causing it to stick partially on.. (resulting in super fast brake pad wear)..

Leo

CBRSLIDER
06-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Didn't even think of that Leo. I will check that out when I get a chance. I threw another set of pads on the wheeler and was preparing to run it tomorrow in a HS but it got cancelled. So now I'll have a chance to work on it more.

Thanks
Ray

rowlrag
06-02-2002, 12:24 PM
I used the same pad and they worked well, almost any pads life is drastically shortened when riding in mud and I mean MUD! This last Mid South of the year at Fordsville Ky. was so muddy I put brand new Braking pads and rotor on the rear and 2hours and a few minutes later they were m-metal, but I was 3rd overall so didn't really care.