PDA

View Full Version : Gasket sealer?

jak1389
06-30-2005, 07:35 PM
hey guys, i recieved all my parts today from c&d racing and was wondering if i had to put a gasket sealer on the metal and non-metal gaskets. they are cometic gaskets. i checked my service manual but came up with nothing. thanks for the help.

velocityatv
07-01-2005, 10:41 AM
NO WAY !! DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THEM. TAKE A RAZOR BLADE AND MAKE SURE TO TAKE OFF ALL OF YOUR OLD GASKET. PUT THEM ON DRY.

jak1389
07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
i was told it might be a good idea to put gasket sealer on the steel gaskets and the softer material gaskets to ensure a good seal. would it hurt anyhtng if i put some on?

velocityatv
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT IN IT. DID THEY HAVE SEALER FROM THE FACTORY? NOPE. I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT SEALER AT ALL. THE BEST WAY TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SEAL IS TO CLEAN THE SURFACES AS PERFECT AS POSSIBLE. ALSO MAKE SURE WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER PUT A LITTLE DROP OF OIL ON THE THREADS OF ANY MAJOR BOLT YOU HAVE TO TORQUE. WHAT THIS DOES IS ENSURE THAT THE BOLT DOESN'T HANG UP ON A BUM THREAD, DIRT, OR RUST AND CAUSE YOUR TORQUE TO BE OFF. REMEMBER SEALERS ARE FOR HALF @$$ERS CLEAN THE SURFACES REALLY WELL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.

velocityatv
07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. IF THERE IS ANY DOUBT IN IT. DID THEY HAVE SEALER FROM THE FACTORY? NOPE. I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT SEALER AT ALL. THE BEST WAY TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SEAL IS TO CLEAN THE SURFACES AS PERFECT AS POSSIBLE. ALSO MAKE SURE WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER PUT A LITTLE DROP OF OIL ON THE THREADS OF ANY MAJOR BOLT YOU HAVE TO TORQUE. WHAT THIS DOES IS ENSURE THAT THE BOLT DOESN'T HANG UP ON A BUM THREAD, DIRT, OR RUST AND CAUSE YOUR TORQUE TO BE OFF. REMEMBER SEALERS ARE FOR HALF @$$ERS CLEAN THE SURFACES REALLY WELL AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROBLEMS.

bwamos
07-01-2005, 02:35 PM
If you have a choice still.. do NOT do it.

It's not gonna destroy anyhting "below" the cylinder.

But if you used it on your head gasket.. you better just take it back apart and buy a new gasket.

jak1389
07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
what would happen if i used it on the head gasket?

bwamos
07-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Bah.. I misread.. lol.

You should be fine with "gasket sealer"

I was for some reason thinking of the Orange Silicone Gasket that comes in a tube.

You should be just fine if you're using a true gasket sealer if you already used it. ;)

If you haven't you do not need ot use it. The gaskets were designed to be put on dry. These arent your normal crappy automotive gaskets.

velocityatv
07-01-2005, 04:01 PM
IF YOU USED IT ON THE HEAD GASKET THERE IS A VERY STRONG CHANCE THAT IT WOULD LEAK. THE GOLDEN RULE IS NEVER TO PUT SEALER OR SILICONE ON A GASKET THAT HOLD A COMPRESSION.

TC426EX
07-02-2005, 08:08 AM
You SHOULD use gasket sealer on the fiber gaskets like the bottom end, clutch and stator covers, but do NOT use it on the metal gaskets like the head gasket, rocker gasket, etc. Those seal by crushing into place.

You want to get the HARDENING type Permatex (usually black or brown color) and apply a thin coat to each side of the gasket. Make sure the metal surfaces are clean and then re assemble everything. I have used the stuff for YEARS with no problem and so do the majority of everyone I know. I would never put a fiber gasket on dry, never heard of anyone doing that and it seems kind of stupid to me. Its not like it leaves any more mess next time you take it apart. When you pull the cover or whatever off the gasket and sealer still come off as one piece so its no big deal.