PDA

View Full Version : cutting swingarm pivot bolt

Razorback
05-29-2002, 09:50 AM
i'd like to ask for some information from those who have had to cut their swingarm pivot bolt out. i've read some other posts where people have done this, and would like some info on how you did it, like what tools, pre-cautions, etc. mine is totally stuck. i don't know if it's rusted, warped/bent, or both, but the dang thing wont come out.

i tried all the recommendation with using PB spray, beating with a sledge hammer using a piece of wood, then a long screwdriver, then a steel punch, heavy duty socket with plenty of leverage, etc., etc., but nothing would budge it. Now, to top that off, the thread side of the pivot bolt is totally demolished. i actually split it with the punch and just barely got the punch back out. Anyway, I'm going to continue racing and riding until I have a break in the racing schedule. One of two things is going to happen: 1) swingarm is going to break and I'll have to cut the whole thing out, or 2) somehow cut the pivot bolt out and replace it with all new components (which I already have), then lube and never-lock the whole thing so this won't happen again. I wish the pivot bolt didn't run through the back part of the motor, so I wouldn't be so worried about getting this thing out :(

Scott
05-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Had a friend that had the same thing happen to his. He ended up having to use a plasma cutter on the swingarm and replacing the whole thing.

Sorry, don't have any tips or secrets to help you out.

redrider808
05-29-2002, 12:28 PM
dont ride without a nut on there or you'll be buyin a frame get a grinder and grind the head off and whats left ofthe bolt geta sawzall and get in there and cut away . but try not to hit the swingarm it can be done i have done it not on my EX but the R
u will only do it once
after you get it out pull it out ever so often a use never seaze on it i know it sucks but dont ride like that
good luck

"BLAHH"300!!
05-30-2002, 11:06 AM
...next time don't beat direcly on the bolt end...leave the nut on the bolt but loosen it to give you space, then beat on that. that way when it come's out your threads won't be all smashed up.

i just took mine out last week i thought it was ganna be a big ordeal. i've hear of all you people having to beat it out. i loosend the nut a little tapped on it. loosend it a little more, tapped a little more untill it was loosend all the way to the end then i stuck a screw driver on it and tapped it another 5 or 6 inche's out. went to the other side, gripped it right behind the bolt head with a pair of vice grips and turned and tugged it the rest of the way. did what i had to do and greased it up and put it back in.

"razorbackexrider"
....have you tried having someone else move the swingarm around while you tap on the pivot bolt?....undo the rear shock from the swingarm. have someone else move the swingarm up, and down. (put the nut back on the pivot bolt) and beat on it while its moving around..(see what i'm saying?) there might be a loose spot in there somewhere that'll let the bolt move a little, might just have to let a little tension off of it befor it'll come out..

Razorback
05-30-2002, 11:44 AM
blah - yeah, i had tried leaving the nut on at first, and i guess i should have left it on, but sadly, i didn't. lesson learned. i also tried having the swingarm moved while i was tapping on it, but nothing changed. what i don't understand is that that swingarm moves fine and doesn't make any bad noises or anything. i've had pretty good luck with all my other maintenance and replacements, but this one beat me :(

Razorback
05-30-2002, 04:04 PM
ah, yes, forget that you had posted that, sorry. i'm going to try that the next time i'm ready to try working on this again. like you said, i'm going to have to work to get some sort of wrench/pliers/etc. to get a bite on it and some leverage. maybe there's hope, but those are some tight spots to try and get into.

thanks for all the responses.

Woodsrider
05-30-2002, 05:21 PM
Razorback, if all else fails, drill the head off of the bolt. then tapp it out from the head side. That is how we do it in the airplane business. Also once the head is out of the way, you can get the penitrating oil in where it needs to be to work.

good luck.

Razorback
05-30-2002, 07:34 PM
hey, that's a good idea. thanks for the tip. i may definitely try it.

got a race this weekend though, so it may be a few days.

yellow_ho_01
05-31-2002, 05:42 AM
im having the same problem... i noticed that my left swingarm bearing is getting loose, so i thought id fix it now.... but my bolt is stuck to.....ive had it soaking in penatrating oil for like 2 days,

bama400ex
06-01-2002, 06:46 AM
get you one of those little propane torches. heat up the spacers until they are alomost glowing. knock the **** out of it. its that simple. oh yea becareful.

yellow_ho_01
06-11-2002, 10:39 AM
well.... went to a friends house to get more help...we tried heating the spacer up with one of those cheap propare torches but it didnt get hot enough, also had a small set of vise grips on the spacer,.. then we put an impact wrench/gun on the bolt to try and break the spacer free,.. nothing... then we added in the use a an air chisel at the same time,... nothing.... THAT THING IS IN THE HARD!!! next we tried the impact wrench on one side,... one friend holding a stell bar against the other end of the bolt while i beat on it with a 5lbs sledge hammer,... NOTHING... the bolt will turn with the spacer,... but not move out at all. SO now im gonna try to use another friends help,( he has a good torch set we'll try)