PDA

View Full Version : selecting the right head pipe

05-29-2002, 08:54 AM
I am wanting to put a large dia. head pipe on to finish off my project, I have seen 2 styles of head pipes for the 400ex. on 1 both pipes come around the right side of engine equally, and the other the left hand pipe dips down before coming back up to go around the side of the motor. What is the difference? which is best for me. P.S. New to site so please bare with me all, thanks wheels313:D :D

05-29-2002, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the site and please don't let your wife know your a member cuz you'll start to spend waay too much time out here once ya get to know everybody...:D

from what I've been told and read,,when the pipes stay together right off the head go back together its more of a torque pipe,,or more bottom to mid range. When the one pipe seems to dip down more than the other I believe that pipe is more of a top to bottom power range pipe.

05-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome dude, Are most of the head pipes universal? i have the WB R4 but dont know if every pipe will just mate up to it!!!! and the wife is pretty tolerable actually, but i will take your advice.:)

05-29-2002, 09:15 AM
I don't know what head pipe your looking at but a WB header pipe and a FMF powerbong header pipe would fit the R4 pipe your running...I think the powerbong has a larger diameter pipes on it than the WB but not 100% sure on that one. I have a bills thunder mounted to my FMF powerbong and it works pretty dang good..anymore most pipe companies are making their header pipe only work with their silencers.

05-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Do you have a pic of the pipe? I am iterested in seeing what it would look like on my bike where did you get it and whats the aprox price? I think the WB header is a bit steep to me!

knighttime
05-29-2002, 09:26 AM
From the dyno charts on www.fmfracing.com it looks like the powerbong header gives u more horsepower thoughout the entire rpm range. There maybe some people who will tell u that the stock header is better, but I havent seen any dyno charts to back this up or any other evidence other than "I heard this from so and so at some shop, etc.".

I think the powerbong would work great with your setup and I think u will notice an immediate improvement.

05-29-2002, 09:32 AM
here's a somewhat decent pic of it mounted,,follow the link under my sig to my picture page and you can get different views and more closeups of it..and yes I did notice an immediate power gain when I added the powerbong header,,it should help that 440 breath a lot better than the stocker.
and I think powerbong's run around $200.:eek:

05-29-2002, 09:33 AM
is it the powerbomb or the powerbong? I see power bomb on the fmf site, is that the one i am looking for? thanks

05-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Yea, that looks right down my road:cool: looks like the wife is just going to have to get a little madder, who did you order yours from? I like it!!!!!!!!

knighttime
Originally posted by wheels313
is it the powerbomb or the powerbong? I see power bomb on the fmf site, is that the one i am looking for? thanks

Yep, u found the right one.:cool:

Sorry about the confusion wheels313,,it's a powerbomb your lookin for,,,some of us out here just call it a powerbong for chit's and giggles..:D

PS. I bought mine from rocky mountain ATV,,but I bet if you call marcums ATV he'll have a better price,,he sponsor's the site so you get 5% off and free shipping,,make sure to tell him your an exrider's member..1-386-325-6060 I believe he's got a toll free number too on his webpage..http://www.motorcycle-atv-pwc.com/

05-29-2002, 09:38 AM
Ihave a FMF hi flow header that i am selling for $120.00 if you are intereested. still in good shape, and is the as the power bomb with out the bulge where the two pipes come to gether.

05-29-2002, 09:42 AM
Rico, thanks man i think you have just cost the wife some money,hehe. Knighttime, thanks for your help,you want to hear something ironic, I will be at hat-Mc on the weekend after the 4th of july. and on top of that i am origonally from pa, not to far from you. I know if you got a quad then you have heard of Mt. Morris:)

05-29-2002, 09:46 AM
GNCCer, do you have a pic, does the one pipe dip down like on the powerbong or do they both come around the engine equally. I really need a pipe for increase power across the board and not just at low end.

knighttime
05-29-2002, 11:46 AM
Wheels u should change your trip to Hat/McC to coincide with the exriders trip.

PsychoDave
05-29-2002, 12:29 PM
wheeles...do you just have the slip on...or do you have the complete 'r' series headpipe and muffler. i had both and the mufflers are different. if it is just the slip on you will be fine with a powerbomb....if it is the whole system it wont work..... I had this dilema about 2 weeks ago and i got the complete WB'R' series...the head pipe is pretty big. after some jet changes my 416 flies... let us know your thoughts on the powerbomb!!!!

05-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Wish i could go to Hat-Mc with yawl but My buddy can only go on the week-end after the 4th of july. He has a raptor any way so he would be jelous of all the commerodery of the ex gang and he would feel lonely:D

05-29-2002, 12:33 PM
yes psycodave i have just the slip on r4 so that is good to know info for me. Im getting anxous about getting the header now!!!

DESDAK4
05-29-2002, 12:36 PM
I know the Powerbomb is the one I am going to get to go with my e-series, I hear they are suposed to produce some good power together.

05-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Fella's Thanks for all the valuable info. i am gonna go I have a lot of dreaming to do about my 440ex as you all can unerstand. see ya when i return, later, wheels313