PDA

View Full Version : durhamtown, union point, georgia

ryann mx68
06-30-2005, 02:19 PM
went to durhamtown plantation. union point, ga.

www.durhamtown.com

this place is just incredible, atv/mx park. it was featured in last months dirt wheels mag.

7000 acres, 100 miles of trails, 4 mx tracks [ atv track, mx bike track, pee-wee track, and another swamp track].

this place has it all, we stayed friday and saturday. rented a cabin, pull my trailer to my cabins front door, unload and ride.
the 3 adult tracks were mixed, so you were out there with atvs and bikes.

the tracks were well taken care of, all the takeoff lips were in great shape, nothing trying to throw you off line in the air. no small stuff here, most of the jumps were table style or big doubles. you could only see maybe 3 landings all the rest were blind until you launched from the takeoff ramps. some of the ramps had to be 18 to 20 ft tall, most of the tabletops were probly 30 to 40 ft long.

i even had fun on the trails, most 6-8 ft wide, with plenty of switchbacks and jumps to keep it from getting boring. after about 35 minutes out on [i think trail-a, not sure] you come up on a mx track out in the middle of the woods [swamp track] smaller track but you can pretty much keep it in 3rd and just hammer around.
tabletops, doubles, rockers. then back on the trails.

if anyone has thought about going and hasnt, you wont be disappointed when you get there.

tent camping, rv's, cabins, lodge, pro-shop, mx tracks, trails, drag-strip, hillclimbs, mud pits

$25 for 1 day, $40 for 2 day ride

trails open from 9am-5pm
tracks open from 9am-8pm

anyway, this is the best place i have ever been to, for all around riding. if your around the southeast, check it out.

Scro
07-02-2005, 12:29 PM
looks like it may be worth the drive

ryann mx68
07-06-2005, 07:57 AM
yeah, you would have to make a long weekend out of it. it may take you 5-6hrs to get there?

luvmyex
07-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Are the folks running it still a-holes? I know a group that went and said they wouldnt return cause the people running were pricks. And these arent guys that drink and raise hell either.

kwatts400
07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
They were cool to us when we went last spring.

kreed5821
07-07-2005, 03:55 PM
They were cool when I went as well, but the owner told a friend of mine that rides dirtbikes that 'people that ride four wheelers are a lower quality of people than those on dirtbikes'. He told the people at Broad River they might as well close down now, because they want atvers. After I went last year, I read a post on GA Offroad where they were complaining about atvs destroying the trails. He said they had dirtbike trails for several years with no problem, but constantly had to work on the atv trails. I don't get it, when I went, there were many atvs but also many dirtbikes on the atv trails. But atvs weren't allowed on the bike trails. Seems to me that the atv trails were getting a lot more riders on them because of that. He also said atv would only be allowed on the tracks for three - thirty minute sessions per day. I haven't been back since, but have heard that they backed off of that very quickly. Personally, I still won't go where I'm not wanted. Go to www.georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11258&highlight=cracking+quads . You can read what made me stop going. My friend said the guy told him the other stuff about a month and a half ago. The owner was just leaving as I came off the trail and my friend couldn't believe what he had just been told. Otherwise, I thought it was a great place. Some of the marshals were standing around like thugs, but otherwise I enjoyed it. Still won't go back though.

Here is a thread from this site: www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140846&highlight=durhamtown

ryann mx68
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
when i was there a couple of weeks ago, everybody was cool, yes some trails were bike only, atv only and some mixed.

they have the tracks split up the same way. sometimes 1 mx track will be atv only or bike only. all 4 tracks were [mixed use] with bikes and quads.

id have to say that 70% of the riders were on 4 wheelers. so the quads are paying his bills +.

you do the math, 1400 riders on an average weekend ,times $25 per = $35,000.

i have a yz250 and a 400ex. growing up on a mx bike i also didnt really like people on quads, most of whom would ride wreckless with no helmets and always be going the wrong direction on our practice tracks. quads dont ruin the trails or tracks, but they do leave the double ruts, which do suck when your riding a mx bike.
im a track guy, not really into trails. so the ruts created on mx tracks by quads are not bad, but maybe more damage occurs on the trails, which the trail riders [bikes] dont like.

most of the people on the georgia off road website are hardcore [bike] trail riders, so your gonna get a 1 sided view.

go on georgia mx .com and youll get another 1 sided view, most mx guys dont like trail riders.

trail riders dont like quads, and so on.

anyway i had a great time at durhamtown, and i will go back. everybody was cool, other riders, employees etc. i was hammering around the tracks with quads and bikes, didnt have a problem with anyone there.

now i deff need better susp, my 400ex has more cracks after that weekend. where the front shock mounts are welded to the lower a arms, both sides the welds are cracked. altogether my ex was great, it jumps really well, the susp. just cant handle the beating from a track. i guess i need to get some elkas, that will probly help my frame out, some of the landings were killing my ex.

kreed5821
07-08-2005, 07:22 PM
You are right about GA Offroad being mainly bikes, but the first post in that thread was a quote from D'town's owner. I had a bike first too. I never had a problem with double ruts though. A double rut on a bike is easier than a single one on a quad. Go to Locust Stake and you'll see what I mean. And notice I didn't put a link to D'town's original thread, they erased it. I just won't go where I'm not really wanted. I wear my helmet, etc. at all times and always go the designated way where it's applicable. I have heard a lot of people talk about quitting going there because of the stuff posted in their forums or because they would hear from dirt bikers about the owner complaining about quads when only bike riders are around. Just my $.02, friend.