PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 hotcams review

nowukno
06-30-2005, 11:12 AM
I just had the cam installed and 2 valves needed to be shimed. The bottom power was about what i expected , it was very little (if any) but the midrange hit is awesome and top is a noticable difference also. I used to beat my friends 660 raptor (piped/jetted) by about 3-4 lenghts in a drag. Now i have him by 2-3 lenghts more than before. Ofcourse our straight is only long enough for me to be in 5th gear for about 5 seconds or so. I know if we had more room he would catch up. For the break in , i just did a light trail ride , just don't let it idle or give it to many rpm's during break in. But after about 30-40 min i changed the oil and let her rip. But overall im very pleased with the cam. I just figured i would post this because i see alot of posts with questions about this cam. BTW i bought the cam through C&D who were very friendly and easy to deal with.

06-30-2005, 11:41 AM
i have the stage 2 hot cam in my 05 also.i put the sparks full system on and an fcr carb. i am really impressed with everything. i still run the stock gearing.

06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by nowukno
I just had the cam installed and 2 valves needed to be shimed. The bottom power was about what i expected , it was very little (if any) but the midrange hit is awesome and top is a noticable difference also. I used to beat my friends 660 raptor (piped/jetted) by about 3-4 lenghts in a drag. Now i have him by 2-3 lenghts more than before. Ofcourse our straight is only long enough for me to be in 5th gear for about 5 seconds or so. I know if we had more room he would catch up. For the break in , i just did a light trail ride , just don't let it idle or give it to many rpm's during break in. But after about 30-40 min i changed the oil and let her rip. But overall im very pleased with the cam. I just figured i would post this because i see alot of posts with questions about this cam. BTW i bought the cam through C&D who were very friendly and easy to deal with.

how is the low end with the cam, does it still allow you to bog it down and everything, does it lose or gain low end?

450Racer
06-30-2005, 01:46 PM
i'm suprised you said it had little to no bottom end. i thought it had a lot! i don't think i lost any bottom end going from the stock cam to the Hot Cam. there was a huge difference and mid and it pulled hard the whole way up to the rev limiter. maybe my piston changed where the power came on, or the exhaust. i still noticed lots of power on the bottom though. it's a great cam! i was impressed.

cals400ex
06-30-2005, 03:06 PM
i went from stock to the whole hrc kit (cam, jet, intake, modded air box lid, etc) and i gained low end power.

fourfiftyfred
06-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Well here is a dyno sheet for my 450r with hotcams stage 2 and pulse charger.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6524&hl=

MR.BIG
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by nowukno

Wait until you install an exhaust that will help your lowend power plus everywhere else!

wppracing
06-30-2005, 07:33 PM
I have used the Stage 2 cam also. With my set up , It had a great bottom and mid improvement and maybe a very slight top increase. But with increased compression the HRC worked the best for me.

devil6
06-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
how is the low end with the cam, does it still allow you to bog it down and everything, does it lose or gain low end? When you say bog it down, do you mean lugging it till it almost dies? How much throttle are you applying? Is the current low end ok or are you almost at the point of stalling it? You might just have to ride the clutch a little more is it is being a problem, but i don't think the st 2 gives up much if any bottom end.

06-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by devil6
When you say bog it down, do you mean lugging it till it almost dies? How much throttle are you applying? Is the current low end ok or are you almost at the point of stalling it? You might just have to ride the clutch a little more is it is being a problem, but i don't think the st 2 gives up much if any bottom end.

ya lugging it, the low end right now is fine, thanks for the info :macho

nowukno
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I would like to say that when i was first riding with my new cam and i really couldnt notice a big difference on bottom end since i was basically on a straight away but since my review i posted i have hit some trails and some very tight and i can notice a very good difference on bottom. It pulls alot harder than before , just thought i would post this for the people that was wanting info on the stage 2 hotcams. But like i said before , this is a awesome inexpensive upgrade.

MY 300TH POST!!! :) :) :)