PDA

View Full Version : new rider, suspension adjustment questions

walkjx
06-30-2005, 07:44 AM
hey---new sport atv rider, just bought a new '05 YFZ 450. i have been doing some mx track riding and need some suggestions for setting up the suspension and tires for best performance. i softened the suspension and rebound settings to the lowest settings and have just installed new ITP T-9 pro series and baja rims with holeshot tires, 18" in the rear and 20" in the front. fyi...my friends are dirt bike riders and dont know that much about atv mods. so...any thoughts on my current set up, and what more i need to do to get the most out of my stock suspension for now? any advice from experienced riders would be appreciated!

YFZCHAMP
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Congrads on you new ride!!

depending on your weight: start with the ride height lower it for mx racing. then turn the comp all the way soft then come back 4 clicks, ride your bike jump it then adjust up or down as your needs go. I would go a tad to the soft side on rebound with stock yfz shocks, UNLESS, you are a big fella then be sure you want to change it.

do the same to the back, find local pros or expert riders and have them polshish your set up.

your tires sound spot on, for MX. Get a K&N in that baby and a good pipe.

Switch out the axle as soon as you can! Ebay can help you afford better parts, send out sponsor letters as well, that can help you get better parts for your YFZ, best of luck out there.

PS if you live near Hinkley hollar at my friend Richard L hooker, Jr.