PDA

View Full Version : I Have decided on an 11:1 piston but what cam should I get?

05-28-2002, 10:52 PM
After racing a 400EX with just a piston and a cam, I have decided not to bore to the 416. I have decided to just do the piston and the cam as an attempt to keep my motor as dependable and reliable as possible. I was told that the higher the compression the less reliable your motor could be. I think the 11:1 is the best all around compression for my type of riding, lots of fast trail riding and some MX now and then. I just don't know what cam to use now? I want something more aggresive than the XR400, but I still want to stick with stock rocker arms and stock valves and springs. Could anyone recommend a cam for me? Also a website or phone number where I might be able to talk to someone would be great. One more question, does a new cam come with a larger\smaller timing chain sprocket? Also would I still stick with stock valve clearance or would I have to adjust to something else? On another note, I just changed my oil to 20W-50 Semi-synthtic Bel Ray for the summer. The weather is warming up to about 80 and friday it suppose to be 93. What do you guys think of this oil and weight? I was running 10W-40 Semi-synthtic Bel Ray during the winter and spring. Thanks in advance.

JhallettEX
05-28-2002, 11:09 PM
Hot Cams Stage 2 cam by far, I would contact Dusty or Kolby at www.cdracingonline.com and talk to them, tell them I sent ya they will give you a great deal, good thing is they are also located in Nebraska, where exactly are you from?

Blake24
05-29-2002, 01:16 AM
ya dude where in neb. are u from...........we will have to go ridin sometime

05-29-2002, 08:58 PM
I am in Omaha. Where are you guys located at?

440exnacsracer
05-29-2002, 10:12 PM
hotcams are good, but adding a 440 kit from wiseco will not decrease your durability. the 400's come with great clutches, rods, etc that would normally wear. i ordered one for my 400 and am also installing a hot cam. i have several friends with 440s in theres and they work alot better and add lots of torque and ponies

Blake24
05-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Kearney here!!