PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket leaking need help! Also XR or EX gasket?

ranger400ex1994
06-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Head gasket leaking need help! Also XR or EX gasket?
I have a 2002 400ex that i just had motor work done to it in february with a 11:1 compression wiseco piston and a old stage 2 hot cam plus MX porting.the gasket set i order came off ebay so i'm sure it was not the best. Know i have never took my head off before but i would like to learn how. If someone could tell me what the best way to remove the head is and what else i will have to take off. Also whats the order i would have to torque the head bolts at. and how much torque do i use?. I was also woundering if I should get a XR gastket or just get a EX one i heard that the XR will give me the true compression of my piston.

Also when i rev the motor up there are bubbles blow out of when the gasket meets the cylinder.

BLEEDRED
07-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Get a service manual. I use my clymer all the time. It will tell you all of the torque settings and what not. You need to make sure that your studs are not pulling out and also that all the bolts that hold the head cover on are torqued to 8 pounds and not stripped. I would go with a .027" flexsteel gasket from cometic.

Sleeper
07-03-2005, 11:20 PM
The honda service manual is not all that expensive either. I got one and I am glad I did.

Sleeper

bigb426ex
07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I had the same thing as you did and found out one of my head bolts (next to the spark plug) was pulling out. Had to put in some new heavy duty stud bolts from GT Thunder. Now I know for sure that they are not going to pull out. Hopefully it is just a faulty gasket.