View Full Version : gussetting

get_up_mark
06-29-2005, 09:48 PM
is it possible to gusset the frame while the bike is still assembled? a lot of the 250rs weak spots can be gusseted from the bottom. also someone asked this before and go no answer. what is a 250rs general 1/4 mile times. 1/8s are probley more appropriate but whatever.

TheFontMaster
06-29-2005, 10:40 PM
It could be done, but I wouldn't sugest it, you could posibly damage some parts, and some parts you wouldn't be able to get. And then theres the fact that the frame would have to be painted or powdercoated, which would mean a compleate tear down.

250R-Dee
06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
It is somewhere near impossible to weld the gussets in properly without doing a complete teardown.

velocityatv
06-29-2005, 10:50 PM
No - the weakest part of an R frame is the lower motor mount tabs. (take the motor out ) Also the stem mount and subframe. plus you'll want to paint the welds. It helps to box in the triangle spaces just behind the lower mounts. the frame rail that runs front to back likes to crack about 1/2 and inch behind the mounts. Happened to me at the track once. Cracked in practice, welded it up there at the track then the other cracked all the way around in the 1st heat. Dont go too crazy I've seen guys add 10lbs in gussets before talk about overkill and it looks like crap too.