PDA

View Full Version : A few things that I NEED to know before tomorrow! (CARB QUESTIONS)

400exstud
06-29-2005, 08:53 PM
This is all for a 400ex

Question 1: Where are the main and needle jets located? Are they both inside the float chamber? Will I be able to adjust the needle clip here?

Question 2: When I am taking apart the carb to get into the float chamber is there anything that I need to worry about (such as springs that go flying or very small parts that could fall and never be found again).

Question 3: The air/fuel mixture screw is located on the outside of the carb? (I am pretty sure but just checking)

Question 4: I drained the float chamber but how does more gases get in? Will the float device just automatically fill up the float chamber once I hook the gas tank and fuel line back up? If not how.

Any other tips or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

nosliw
06-29-2005, 09:44 PM
mainjet is accessed by removing the 17mm plug at the bottom of the carb and unscrewing it with a 6mm socket. you can also just take off the float bowl and unscrew it there.

there is this white plastic piece called the mainjet splash gaurd. it's not that big, maybe the size of a small walnut, but i guess if your reckless you can lose it.

yes

when there isnt any gas in the floatbowl, the floats drop. they are connected to a pin, which when backed out of it's hole, will allow more fuel to pour in to fill up the chamber. when the floats rise because of the added gas, it will push the pin up into where it seats and block the gas flow. in short that is what goes on.

nosliw
06-29-2005, 09:48 PM
forgot the answer the other part of question #1.....

to adjust the JET NEEDLE's e-clip, you have to get at it from the top of the carb. take off the top cover, remove the two screws that hold plate to the bottom of the cylinder, then slide the shaft out of the throttle cover side of the carb. pull that whole piece out and the jet needle is in there. pliers or your finger nails can do the rest. i would high recommend getting a clymers or haynes manual on the 400ex. it has been SOOO long since i've been in the upper portion of my carb to tinker with the jet needle settings that i may be forgetting something vital. invest the $25 so you know your doing it right. also they come in handy in more ways than you can imagine.