PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an external hard drive?

Toadz400
06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Does anyone use an external hard drive that connects through a USB cable? We have been using a 110GB hard drive for awhile now and sometimes it just doesn't want to work, it says that it's not connected and to make sure everything is. For the past month it has been working flawlessly (along with my wireless DSL which is also odd) and suddenly out of nowhere everything that was open through that hard drive froze up and it said to make sure it was connected. So I checked all the connections and what-not, even restarted the computer because it froze up and it still doesn't work. I tried opening it up through My Computer and it brings up a warning box saying that it needs to be formatted. The problem with this is that if you format something, anything that's on it is deleted. Now why would it need to be formatted of all times, now? It would make sense if I first hooked it up and it asked me to format it, but why when I have so much important files on it?? I seriously hate computers...never work right. So just to make sure, I hooked it up to my other computer and it does the same thing. I even tried all the USB ports.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so I don't have to erase everything on the hard drive?? This just doesn't make any sense.

TwentyBelow131
06-29-2005, 06:27 PM
I have a 240gb external that connects thru the usb port. And I know when I first bought it, I had to download a driver offline for it to function properly

Toadz400
06-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by TwentyBelow131
I have a 240gb external that connects thru the usb port. And I know when I first bought it, I had to download a driver offline for it to function properly

What site did you download this driver through? I'll try doing a search or try updating the drivers right now.

Fender Bender
06-29-2005, 07:00 PM
http://www.drivers.com/

You can try looking there.

EDIT: This site may actually be better http://www.driverguide.com/

Toadz400
06-29-2005, 07:28 PM
K thanks, I tried updating the driver just through the properties but it says that it doesn't need to be updated. I'll check out that site.