PDA

View Full Version : should i get a 450r?

tsssdsss
06-29-2005, 11:43 AM
My bro-in-law has a yfz450 but it has just broke down for the third time and each time it has cost well over $1000.00 to get fixed. Hes tired of it and he really wants to know about the dependability and performance of a 450r.

06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
tell him it does'nt break down like the yamihahas......mine is perfect with alot of hours on it

JRP
06-29-2005, 12:29 PM
the 450r is the best quad out there(JMO) and i love its durability, and reliabilty.

dunebuggie66
06-29-2005, 12:36 PM
no, dont buy one. why would you want to buy a reliable honda and be thoroughly impressed with it's performance when you can spend a lot less and get a blaster or something???

12 o'clock
06-29-2005, 03:21 PM
honda

mikes450r
06-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by dunebuggie66
no, dont buy one. why would you want to buy a reliable honda and be thoroughly impressed with it's performance when you can spend a lot less and get a blaster or something??? [/QUOTE] :D

:D :devil:

T2RACING
06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
get one....

SandDuner
07-08-2005, 05:15 PM
what kinda of answer is that should i get a 450r? hell ya you should best choice:macho

07-08-2005, 05:43 PM
same thing happened to my friend with his yfz

turboTony
07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Why would he want to get rid of it with all that money he just invested? ;)
Think of the money he could've saved if you asked the same question before he bought the yami. :cool:

sampleez
07-08-2005, 07:53 PM
sounds like someone hasn't heard of maintence. :blah:

btw.....what did you expect people to say in the 450r forum.....on a heavily honda site.

redlined94
07-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by sampleez

btw.....what did you expect people to say in the 450r forum.....on a heavily honda site.

My thoughts exactly!!

root
07-09-2005, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by sampleez

He had to post the thread somewhere...I surely wouldn't ask someone who didn't own a 450r for their opinion on the subject.

BTW, my 05 is running strong as ever (about 60 hrs). It still has that SWEET pull up top.

Unfortunately, because the 450r holds less than a quart of motor oil it requires more frequent oil changes.

FoxRacing81
07-09-2005, 03:32 PM
My friends 05 already needs new rings, valve seats, 2 new valves, decomp spring, and cam chain. He runs it very hard, but that's what these motors are made for. He also changed his oil more then enough.

But then again, my 2 other friends have 05s with no problems so far. But 1 more friend has 1 and his cam chain is going out also.

They seem really awesome though. 1 of my friends has a lil bigger then a hairline crack righ near 1 of his front shock mounts...and he doesn't jump as much as both of them.

Also, one of my friends 450r looks beat to hell already because 1 of his front fenders snapped and so did 1 of the rear fenders...the plastic on these things are wayy too stiff.

BTW, 4 of my friends have 450rs. 3 have YFZs. 3 outta the 4 450rs have had atleast 1 problem (1 with the rings and cam chain, 1 just cam chain, and 1 with the crack by his shock mount), and so far, only 1 of the YFZs has had a problem. One of his A Arms bent, but that could happen to anyone because he hit a tree.

I'm not taking sides, because I love both Honda and Yamaha. I am just speaking from my friend's experiences.

Rage Racer 07
07-11-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't post very often but I had to post my 2 cents on this one. I own a 2004 YFZ 450. When the Yamahas came out, everyone went and bought one, there were at least 10 to 1 at every MX event that we attend. Shortly after everyone was saying or posting all the problems that the Yamahas were having. Since then the Hondas have almost taken over the market and now there are more Hondas than Yamahas and all you hear is about the transmissions going out, the crank bearings siezing up, water pump problems, rear linkage issues, over heating problems and frames breaking just over the top of the motor. I personally love the way the Honda handles (except the rear linkage) but I can say I also love my Yamaha without reliability issues. I have put many race hours on my Yamaha with minimal issues. Prior to owning my Yamaha I owened a 400ex and I had more motor problems than I would care to even count. BOTTOM LINE EVERY BRAND HAS IT'S ISSUES AT LEAST YAMAHA HAS OWNED UP TO THERE SHORT COMINGS AND CHANGED 80 DIFFERENT THINGS FOR 2006.................. LET'S SEE WHAT HONDA DOES?????????

JEL
07-11-2005, 01:08 PM
GITTY GITTY RIDE RED

JRP
07-11-2005, 02:55 PM
get a 450r. the yfz feel uncomfortable for me and the seat sucks ***(IMO).

Scro
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
after i tore my 450r down, I forgot to tighten the oil drain plug. I ran my 450r with no oil for at least 30 minutes, maybe longer not for sure....lol. The point is it never smoked or made any irregular noise, which was very strange to me. I dont think that you could run a yami that long with no oil...lol

ATC83
07-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by bama450r
after i tore my 450r down, I forgot to tighten the oil drain plug. I ran my 450r with no oil for at least 30 minutes, maybe longer not for sure....lol. The point is it never smoked or made any irregular noise, which was very strange to me. I dont think that you could run a yami that long with no oil...lol

I think your post is going to make it on my top ten list of most moronic posts I've seen on here. What you said is so ridiculous I can hardly respond to it. People like you are what give ATVRIDERS such a bad name. My suggestion to you would be to never run any oil in your TRX450. I'm sure it will never smoke or make "irregular noise". It's common knowledge in the industry that a dry sump engine like the YFZ450 is much tougher than a wet sump engine in the TRX450. I would explain the engineering principals behind this but I doubt you would understand. I think the CRF450 Unicam engine is a great engine but longevity is not one of its strong suits. Ask around and you will see that there are many YZF426's still running on the original engine.

Quad18star
07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
From personal experience of watching 2 buddies curse the hell out of their 450r's and threaten to put a lit match in it's gas tank ... I don't know if I'd give it a 5 star rating . Between broken frames , snapped tie rods , bearings in the engine letting go, cracked cases among a few other things , they've had their fair share of problems .

The only problem I've had with my YFZ was the battery issue . I went through 3 batteries ( all warrantee covered) and the problem went away on it's own . My buddy had the same problem with his electrical , but a resistor kit solved his problem instantly .

07-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
From personal experience of watching 2 buddies curse the hell out of their 450r's and threaten to put a lit match in it's gas tank ... I don't know if I'd give it a 5 star rating . Between broken frames , snapped tie rods , bearings in the engine letting go, cracked cases among a few other things , they've had their fair share of problems .

The only problem I've had with my YFZ was the battery issue . I went through 3 batteries ( all warrantee covered) and the problem went away on it's own . My buddy had the same problem with his electrical , but a resistor kit solved his problem instantly .

ive never had a problem with my R, but my friend had to pretty much buy 3 brand new engines for his YFZ, because of failures and the valves busting off, etc

it can go both ways man, either way u look at it, its gonna be about even

Scro
07-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ATC83
I think your post is going to make it on my top ten list of most moronic posts I've seen on here. What you said is so ridiculous I can hardly respond to it. People like you are what give ATVRIDERS such a bad name. My suggestion to you would be to never run any oil in your TRX450. I'm sure it will never smoke or make "irregular noise". It's common knowledge in the industry that a dry sump engine like the YFZ450 is much tougher than a wet sump engine in the TRX450. I would explain the engineering principals behind this but I doubt you would understand. I think the CRF450 Unicam engine is a great engine but longevity is not one of its strong suits. Ask around and you will see that there are many YZF426's still running on the original engine.

First of all, I dont think that me or my posts give atvriders a bad name. I was simply explaining something that happened to me. In no way was I saying that it is good to run an engine without any oil. It was a mistake I made and would not have happened if I hadnt been careless. I was not saying that I did it on purpose just to see if it would "smoke or make an irregular noise".

Secondly, if anybody is making a bad name about atvriders...it would be you my friend. Coming on here and calling people moronic...there is no need for it. Do you think that if my posts were made by a kid that was 13, that he wouldnt take it seriously??? He wouldnt post here again, for the fact that he was afraid that someone would jump down his throat

ATC83
07-12-2005, 11:28 AM
I suppose that you still think the TRX450 will run longer without oil than the YFZ450 because of some magical engineering by Honda. Some times it's hard to have a rational discussion on hear because people can't discuss these two bikes in an objective way.

Scro
07-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by ATC83
I suppose that you still think the TRX450 will run longer without oil than the YFZ450 because of some magical engineering by Honda. Some times it's hard to have a rational discussion on hear because people can't discuss these two bikes in an objective way.

No, I am not saying that the honda will run longer than the yamaha without any oil. Around here, the honda's seem to be more reliable than the yamaha. And im not talking about yfz426. It's just the fact that I rode my bike with no oil, for what I am thinking is more than an hour, in 85 degree weather. To me, if that is not reliability, I dont know what is. In no way was I saying that the 450r is far superior to the YFZ. They both have their downfalls. I am not going to turn this into a big war about how one bike will run longer than the other without oil, its dumb.

MR.BIG
07-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Definately get a 450r. The fact is honda builds good machines and I have always had great luck with them. Its all personal experiences but with any new machine you can expect to have problems until its out for a couple of years so they can fix any existing problems.