PDA

View Full Version : Boots?

300ex73
06-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm gonna end up buying a set of riding boots soon, and I'm just wondering how many of you guys out there own a set with the motocross type sole, not the new ATV sole that some companies have been using.

Reason I ask, is because I'm looking at getting a set of Alpinestars Tech 4 boots in white, but they only make the ATV sole style in black. Don't really wanna run black, but if the MX style sole doesn't work that well, then I guess I know what I'm gonna end up getting.

But yeah, any feedback on this one would be good.

nat3060
06-29-2005, 09:36 AM
theres no difference really.. only reason i see for the atv sole is if you trail ride alot and you always getting off your quad to "hike".. which youd need a sole like a boot.

ive owned both soles, and theres no difference when riding

06-29-2005, 10:00 AM
mx soles are fine, i heard the atv soles wair out faster ne way

bwamos
06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I use MX soled MSR's. They work just fine. And you get a LOT more variety and fit too choose from.

Just make sure if you get ATV style there ones w/ heels. I can't stand riding boots w/o heels.

300ex73
06-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I doubt that I'll get the ATV sole. I rarely do trail riding, so I won't really need them for getting around off the quad. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and get the Alipinestars Tech 4's in white. I think they look pretty nice, and I've never heard anything bad about them.

hardkoratvmxr
06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
why not just get the tech 8s

FoxRacing81
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
My Garnae MX soles are fine.

06-29-2005, 12:44 PM
the only thing wrong with alpine stars is that they are pricey compared to others like thor

06-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
the only thing wrong with alpine stars is that they are pricey compared to others like thor you get what you pay for. personally i like the alpinestar tech 10s and the fox forma pros. my tech 10s bend really easy and require no breaking in at all, and the fox's were already broken in aswell.both are good boots, and the formas are like $200 less then the tech 10s. i think the prices are $430 for the techs ans like $230 for the formas, i liked my gaernes too, but not very comfy. i think the tech 4's are ok, but if you can, get the tech 6's or formas, both are good boots for about the same price.

FoxRacing81
06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
My Garnaes are about 4 years old. They are beat to death, but very worn in and are very comfortable. I won't ride without them.

06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
My Garnaes are about 4 years old. They are beat to death, but very worn in and are very comfortable. I won't ride without them. o, so u have the sg-1's im assuming? mine were hard and uncomftorable,i guess they get softer and such as they age, i only had mine for about 3 months

nat3060
06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
i just got the tech 4s, very comfy

i tried tech 10s on and i dont see the big deal, not worth all that cash in my opinion, they are heavy as *****

300ex73
06-30-2005, 06:24 AM
I just like the Tech 4's. They're priced pretty good. And I don't really see much of a reason to spend a lot more money to get the Tech 8's.

I looked at the Fox, but a friend of mine has used the Trackers and the Forma Pros, and said he wasn't all that comfortable in them. He's prolly going to be switching to the Alpinestars pretty soon as well.

06-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by 300ex73

I looked at the Fox, but a friend of mine has used the Trackers and the Forma Pros, and said he wasn't all that comfortable in them. He's prolly going to be switching to the Alpinestars pretty soon as well. try the formas yourself, everyones feet are different, boots are something you just have to try on , i personally thought the forma pros were very comfy

aviator4
06-30-2005, 11:33 AM
I wear the Alpinestars M6 with the ATV sole, but also have a set of O'neals, a set of Answers and a set of Thors. Out of all of them, I like my Alpinestars the best. They have the ATV sole, but none of the others do and I can't tell a difference whatsoever.

The Alpinestars are more expensive, but they seem to "wear into" your foot better. Once they are broken in, they are an awesome boot. The Thors don't tend to break in as well, run small and narrow in fit. The Oneals are just cheaply made (if you ask me) but I have several friends that love theirs. The Answers are right up there with the Alpinestars, but they don't seal as well so when you run through deep water, your feet have a better chance of getting wet. Also, the tread isn't as agressive so you have a tendancy to slide around on stock pegs. I run AC ProPegs and don't have any problems though. I've never had wet feet in my alpinestars. they seal great.

I also like to cushion on the top of the Alpinestars better than the others, it's a little thicker and seals against your calf bettr than the others.

My only gripe is that the buckles on the Alpinestars tend to wear out faster than the others, but they are readily available. I broke one a week after I got the boot, called them and they sent me an entire replacement set overnight for free... the service was really great.

my $.02

Sjorge450R
06-30-2005, 07:09 PM
FOX trackers forever...lol... I had a pair for 3 years still great condition, I almost race every weekend. The only problem is I broke the buckles off, but fox sells replacment buckels for $5

JRP
06-30-2005, 08:43 PM
i have fly boots

HiperEX
06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
i have thor quadrant with the atv sole love them first pair of boots ive had and cant belive i havent gotten them 5 years ago

300ex73
07-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I tried on a pair of the Thor boots just out of curiousity, and hated them. They were near impossible to get on. Then when I had them on, they just didn't feel good on my feet. I also almost had to call for help to get them pulled off!

The only reason my friend bought the Fox boots, was because so many of the pros wear them. But that's just because so many of them are sponsored by Shift. I can think of better reasons to buy gear other than I see alot of pros wearing it.

But yeah, I'm going to go ahead and get the Alpinestars. I just need to get a few other things out of the way first, like getting my a-arms powdercoated.

HiperEX
07-01-2005, 05:56 PM
any boot will feel bad cause there not broken in yet and for the thor boots yah i had a hell of a time then just a few days ago i figured out the top part comes off by velcro and now its so much easier i feel like a loser for not knowin that for 2 weeks since ive had these lol

FoxRacing81
07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
My friend thought my Garnaes we're heaven compared to his Thors. His Thors are a lot heavier then mine and he hates em.

Sleeper
07-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by HiperEX
any boot will feel bad cause there not broken in yet and for the thor boots yah i had a hell of a time then just a few days ago i figured out the top part comes off by velcro and now its so much easier i feel like a loser for not knowin that for 2 weeks since ive had these lol

LOL. Ya I've got the quadrant's with a mx sole. I think they're great. Easy to adjust and they open up so wide they are easier to slide on and off than a shoe. They do take a little break in time to get some more flex in them, but I don't want no floppy boot. I like that they are stiff. I like my ankles in one peice. ;)

I trail ride and the mx sole is fine for me, but I don't go in really sloppy conditions.

PS if anyone buys the thor quadrant's buy one size larger than your shoe size.

Sleeper

MotoX3
07-09-2005, 10:56 AM
just a lil insight on what to stay away from...those cheap *** ARC boots RM sells...i have a pair...wore a hole all through the "leather" on the outside from the shifter....stiff as heck...made me crash several times..beware:p