PDA

View Full Version : buying used 04 trx450r, what to look for???

mgh1983
06-28-2005, 07:29 PM
hey everyone,

most likely this weekend I'm going to look at a 2004 trx 450r, that has a yoshi slip-on exhaust, nerfs, bumper/grab bar, and mx holeshots front and rear on douglas red labels, and tag2 bars with fatbar clamp, No other mods. The guy who is selling it has sent me pics and the bike is immaculate, he said he hasnt even washed it with a hose. He said that he bought it about 6 months ago, and only road it maybe 30 minutes, and is now building a house and needs to sell it. I dont know, in the pictures he sent the Bike looks brand new, and he keeps saying the bike isnt even broke in yet.

What should I look for when i go check it out, where to look, what to look for, check????

Please any help

He is selling it for $5000 with title

Finally got down there, 6 hours one way... started inspecition of bike, everything looked fine/ok, asked him to start it, he started it and it sounded fine/ok...then i asked " can i take it for a test spin to make sure it runs/drives ok, " then the guy says "AFTER YOU GIVE ME $5000, YOU CAN DRIVE IT ALL YOU WANT".

What a *******, i explained that i wasnt going to buy something that is used without riding it first, NO WAYY.

The guy said he was tired of playing games and this wasnt joy rides.. he said he didnt want the tires to be worn out.

I told him i drove 6 hours to look at this, and had a trailor behind my jeep, If he couldnt tell by that, that i wasnt joking...then I dont know what to say.

If he lists the bike back up on Ebay, i will let you guys know, he was deffinetly someone to stay away from!!!!!!!!!!

DaveEX7
06-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by mgh1983
hey everyone,

most likely this weekend I'm going to look at a 2004 trx 450r, that has a yoshi slip-on exhaust, nerfs, bumper/grab bar, and mx holeshots front and rear, No other mods. The guy who is selling it has sent me pics and the bike is immaculate, he said he hasnt even washed it with a hose. He said that he bought it about 6 months ago, and only road it maybe 30 minutes, and is now building a house and needs to sell it. I dont know, in the pictures he sent the Bike looks brand new, and he keeps saying the bike isnt even broke in yet.

What should I look for when i go check it out, where to look, what to look for, check????

Please any help

He is selling it for $5000 with title

That's a decent price!

Make sure you look at the motor... maybe a custom rebuild gone bad, pistons fried etc.

Condition of plastics.... maybe he rolled the quad once and is afraid to ride it again

Condition of extra.... no dents, halfarse cut jobs

And make sure all the controls, lights, and ignition timers work:D

mgh1983
06-28-2005, 07:51 PM
thanks DaveEX7,

what should i look for as in controls? ( like lights, kill switch, parking break, etc?)

ingintion timing, how can i check that?

DaveEX7
06-28-2005, 07:53 PM
thanks DaveEX7,

what should i look for as in controls? ( like lights, kill switch, parking break, etc?)

ingintion timing, how can i check that?

Controls meaning, how the clutch feels when you drive it. Yes the lights and the killswitch..... the parking break on all of my quads that I've had seems to suck either way so I wouldn't worry about that to much.

Ignition timing.... when you kick start it, does it fire rite up or is the jetting way off.

mgh1983
06-28-2005, 08:04 PM
ok i will make sure to check that.

i want to make sure that the bike hasnt been rolled or crashed, what is the best way to measure it, to make sure everything is straight??

also, im going to check inside the airbox and make him remove the air filter to see if the bike has been sucking in any dirt, is that a wise move?

are there any known problems with the 04's that they have changed in 05 and soon to be 06??

thanks again

DaveEX7
06-28-2005, 08:22 PM
ok i will make sure to check that.

i want to make sure that the bike hasnt been rolled or crashed, what is the best way to measure it, to make sure everything is straight??

also, im going to check inside the airbox and make him remove the air filter to see if the bike has been sucking in any dirt, is that a wise move?

are there any known problems with the 04's that they have changed in 05 and soon to be 06??

thanks again

Well you can basically look at the bike from eye level and notice things..... bent handlebars, plastics.

The filter idea is a good move. And no problems that I know of!

schulte_85
06-29-2005, 10:47 AM
check for frame abuse, cracks, etc, look for odd things like jb weld, etc

DJJ450r
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
i would stand the bike up on its grab bar to see if the frame is straight

steveatv3
06-29-2005, 12:22 PM
make sure the frame is straight, sit on the quad and rock it side to side to see if any swingarm/carrier/ a-arms / wheel bearings maybe shot also the rear hubs could be loose and wearing on the axle

Check ware the chain is to see if it flew off and the case maybe cracked or any other problems

dunebuggie66
06-29-2005, 12:39 PM
take it for a test spin and slam it into a tree. it nothing breaks, then buy it. if something breaks then forget about it and look elsewhere.

mgh1983
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
thanks everyone for the help

ill let u all know how it goes

12 o'clock
06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
if the bike has only thirty minutes on it then the top end should still be tight and not produce all the power and speed it can until it is broke in also look for scratches underneath

jgfarmsracer
06-29-2005, 06:04 PM
can get a new 05 in columbia Mo. for $5500

watts16
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by jgfarmsracer
can get a new 05 in columbia Mo. for $5500

I just did LOL

mgh1983
07-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Finally got down there, 6 hours one way... started inspecition of bike, everything looked fine/ok, asked him to start it, he started it and it sounded fine/ok...then i asked " can i take it for a test spin to make sure it runs/drives ok, " then the guy says "AFTER YOU GIVE ME $5000, YOU CAN DRIVE IT ALL YOU WANT".

What a *******, i explained that i wasnt going to buy something that is used without riding it first, NO WAYY.

The guy said he was tired of playing games and this wasnt joy rides.. he said he didnt want the tires to be worn out.

I told him i drove 6 hours to look at this, and had a trailor behind my jeep, If he couldnt tell by that, that i wasnt joking...then I dont know what to say.

If he lists the bike back up on Ebay, i will let you guys know, he was deffinetly someone to stay away from

TCracin440ex
07-01-2005, 10:20 AM
well i can kinda see his point...because what if you got hurt and such, but sounds to me like he was just bein a prick...i wouldnt buy his quad...id take my money and go else where...if i was going to buy a used sport quad im def gonna ride it to see if its what i want...how it handles and so on...i rode my buddys 400ex before i went out and bought mine...so i knew how it handled and how it felt...keep looking bro youll find somebody thats good to deal with...

if it woulda been me looking to buy a "pre-owned" quad im def gonna ride it...and if they got crappy with me id pull the cash out of my pocket, say see this buddy...i have the money if i break i buy...but then i woulda walked away he woulda kicked himself for not lettin you ride it

mgh1983
07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
well the guy was a hick. we already arranged the price, and i brought cash and he knew that.

besides the point, who the hell buys a "USED" ATV without riding it?? especially a race/sport quad.

the bike could look great, but you never know until you ride it if it may have a trans problem, wont shift right, stutters, miss-fires, stuff like that.

im not 15 years old, and he wasnt either. so basically yesterday i drove 12 hours total for nothing, to deal with someone who was a prick.

if i was buying a ATV from a Dealership "BRAND NEW" i wouldnt worry about it, but anything used...you have to drive it to make sure.

Who buys a used car without test driving it?? NO ONE!!!! unless your an idiot.

I dont know, I have learned my lesson, if someone wants to sell me their bike that bad, they are going to be willing to meet 1/2 way, I dont care...atleast that will show that they are semi-descent people who are legit.

I'm done dealing with people with zero intelligence

TCracin440ex
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
myself personally, soon as he rejected me ridding his quad because of some stupid reason, then i woulda just backed out of that deal totally and walked away

if somebody was to come to me wanting to buy my quad, and i know that they have the cash in hand wanting to buy...im going to be like sure what the hell, but im not gonna let a 15 year old kid get on my to joyride it, knowing they have no intent to buy, and knowing they dont have the money...

just take your money and find another deal, he apparently didnt want to get rid of that bike bad enough if he didnt let you ride it first

mgh1983
07-01-2005, 10:51 AM
yah i guess he didnt. i dont care how clean the bike looked, i would rather of just drove home like we did, than give him $5000 and then get home and the bike not run right.

ill keep my eye open to see if he trys to sell it again on ebay, or if he posts on any forums.

i want to save the trouble of someone else that may get suckered into dealing with such a dumb*****

im still looking into getting a 450r, but i think im leaning towards buying NEW

DaveEX7
07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
yah i guess he didnt. i dont care how clean the bike looked, i would rather of just drove home like we did, than give him $5000 and then get home and the bike not run right.

ill keep my eye open to see if he trys to sell it again on ebay, or if he posts on any forums.

i want to save the trouble of someone else that may get suckered into dealing with such a dumb*****

im still looking into getting a 450r, but i think im leaning towards buying NEW

I should have added... when looking for a used quad, make sure the owner is not a hick and let's the proposed buyer ride it:D

Sorry things turned out for you like that.... good luck