PDA

View Full Version : stage 1 to a stage 2 hotcam

GoOn3
06-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I have a stage 1 hotcam in a 416ex. FCR carb, port and polish. If i move to a stage 2 hotcam, will I have to make any other tuning changes? or will it be just a matter of swapping the cams out?

jak1389
06-28-2005, 09:51 AM
i pretty sure you just drop it in. you may need to readjust your timing though.

RiderTRX400ex
06-28-2005, 09:54 AM
ye just swap em out

06-28-2005, 10:04 AM
you might have to change the jetting a little, but since you have the fcr carb its less likely

raptorrider686
06-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Jetting and everything may be fine, but you might have to put in stiffer springs.

06-28-2005, 04:10 PM
yeah i forgot about that if this is a 400ex then you def. need some kibblewhites or sumthin

Colby@C&DRacing
06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
going from a stg1 to a stg 2 doesn't require stiffer valve springs. it is an option but not required.

06-28-2005, 05:37 PM
trust me you wil want them at first it will run ok, but not so great, then it will get worse and worse untill its like riding a pile of crap because it wont go no where, also the more you ride it with stock springs it will start to smoke more and more

TRXRacer1
06-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
trust me you wil want them at first it will run ok, but not so great, then it will get worse and worse untill its like riding a pile of crap because it wont go no where, also the more you ride it with stock springs it will start to smoke more and more I'd love to know how weak springs can make your motor smoke, any ideas?

06-28-2005, 07:27 PM
they float and dont allow the valves to seal properly :rolleyes:

igmif
06-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Can you run stiffer springs without hardening your rocker arms though?

greg_gorrell
06-28-2005, 07:57 PM
hotcams are all drop in cams. its isnt going to hurt anything running a stage 2 from a stage 1. the material is the same strength/hardness as the stock cam, the stage 1 cam, and the rest of the internals involved. you would need stiff valve springs if you were going to a tc cam or something of that sort where they would need to grind them down since those types of cams are made from a harder metal. they would also require hardened rocker arms.

TRXRacer1
06-28-2005, 08:09 PM
they float and dont allow the valves to seal properly :rolleyes: I understand what you were thinking but a vavle not seating will not make your motor smoke. I ask again, how will this make your motor smoke? Where is the oil coming from? Are you talking about something different? Please explain.

greg_gorrell
06-28-2005, 08:17 PM
im not trying to start a flame war or anything but he is probably just a 14 year old who has heard someone say something and then go around saying it without giving it much thought. the springs will not get to the point where that valves with seat improperly. a hot cam is designed to just go in without any other work whatsoever.

TRXRacer1
06-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by greg_gorrell
im not trying to start a flame war or anything but he is probably just a 14 year old who has heard someone say something and then go around saying it without giving it much thought. the springs will not get to the point where that valves with seat improperly. a hot cam is designed to just go in without any other work whatsoever. I agree, I may post with like I'm worked up but I'm really not. He's just confused and proud to be.

06-28-2005, 09:54 PM
i ahve used hat ams twice b4 the first time i made the mistake of not getting stiffer sprigs and it just got worse and worse and it wont even run ne more and for the rest of yall that think im an ignorant 14 year old go suck a cock

greg_gorrell
06-28-2005, 10:36 PM
man its cool, but i highly doubt your situation was caused by the hot cams. i know plenty of people that have them including myself and no one has ever have any problems caused by them.

TRXRacer1
06-29-2005, 08:32 AM
i ahve used hat ams twice b4 the first time i made the mistake of not getting stiffer sprigs and it just got worse and worse and it wont even run ne more and for the rest of yall that think im an ignorant 14 year old go suck a cock No one said you were ingnorant, you just seem to proud to let people help you and learn.