PDA

View Full Version : Main fuse keeps blowing

04TRX400EX
06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
This is kind of a continuation from a thread I posted a couple of weeks ago. To recap, my quad completely died during a ride so I took it into the dealer to discover that the main fuse blew, which I learned was why the starter/lights/etc. wouldn't work. They replaced the fuse and everything was go again.

So today I was doing some maintenance work and I went to flip the headlights on (the engine was not running BTW), and they quickly shut off along with the neutral light and the ability of the starter to start the engine. So it sounds like the fuse blew again, right? What would keep causing this? Do I have a short or something?

duke416ex
06-28-2005, 07:20 AM
You have a short somewhere, sounds like it may be in the lights since it blew when you tuirned them on, chase the wires and look for a bare spot.

400exbiggun
06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Yup yup yup. I dont really remember my 400ex, but is the fuse that 15amp one that keeps blowing (blue)? If it is i think i know 99.9% what the problem is. I had the same exact problemwith my old 99 ex. I could be wrong but it is worth trying. Pull the headlights out. pull the wiring harness out. It should unclip in 2 spots or one i cant remember. Then pull it off of the bulbs. Now go over it real good and look for cuts. This is what i had. Remove that black plastic sleeve and look for a cut wire. I had a wire worn all the way through and over a bump it grounded on the frame and blew a fuse. You have no idea how many times i had to walk out of a trail to get a new fuse:o

2002400ex
06-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Take the headlight switch apart and see if there is dirt or grass in it. If there is blow it out and you shouldnt have that problem any more.

400exbiggun
06-28-2005, 09:12 AM
If you are blowing fuses you have a short. Dont think the switch like you explained is going to matter really. Trust me check the headlight wire harness and you'll be set.

2002400ex
06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
I had the same thing happpen. I checked all of my wires and it still blew a fuse so i took the switch apart and now its fine.

04TRX400EX
06-29-2005, 01:11 AM
I messed around with all of the wiring today: followed the headlight wires to where they join with the headlight switch wires, took apart the headlight/starter switch, checked the battery connections and the wires back there= everything looked fine. No cut or exposed wires, no short that I can see. I replaced the main fuse after checking this all out and it started fine. I rode it around the block and pulled it back into the garage, turned it off, flipped the lights on, and guess what? THE MAIN FUSE BLEW AGAIN!

So obviously there is a short somewhere, I just can't find it. So I will be taking the bike back to the dealer, again. It would have been real nice if they would have actually looked for what caused the fuse to blow, not just replace the fuse and say its OK :mad:

FoxRacing81
06-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I messed around with all of the wiring today: followed the headlight wires to where they join with the headlight switch wires, took apart the headlight/starter switch, checked the battery connections and the wires back there= everything looked fine. No cut or exposed wires, no short that I can see. I replaced the main fuse after checking this all out and it started fine. I rode it around the block and pulled it back into the garage, turned it off, flipped the lights on, and guess what? THE MAIN FUSE BLEW AGAIN!

So obviously there is a short somewhere, I just can't find it. So I will be taking the bike back to the dealer, again. It would have been real nice if they would have actually looked for what caused the fuse to blow, not just replace the fuse and say its OK :mad:

Let me ask you this..do you still have your stock tail light on?

On my old warrior, my tail light wire had a short in it and everytime I'd turn the lights on, it'd blow a fuse also. Pretty easy fix. I took off the tail light, but I'm sure wrapping the bare wire in electrical tape woulda done the same thing.

Check that wire out. If it's not from your headlights to the battery or the swtich, its most likely the tail light wire if you still have it on.

-Justin

400exbiggun
06-29-2005, 10:00 AM
why not work on the quad yourself and use some diagnostics to determine the problem? Instead all your really doing is just wasting what like $60 per hr for them to do the same thing you could. The wiring harness on a quad is nothing, they are so small. Its not like you are really re-wiring a car.

If it was me this is what i would do. Go to the hardware store and pick up a pack of the fuses for like $2.50 you will get like 20 with that. Put a new one in, pull the wiring harness that i told you about completely off and just toss it to the ground. Flip on the headlight switch. If it blows keep checking. If it dosent blow then you know that that harness is your problem. Next if it blows again, check the tail light and do the same thing. Then if it was me i would remove all the plastics. Get a powerwasher and clean that puppy up so you can see all the wires and just look. Then if it keeps blowing take apart the light button switch thinggy and trace all the wires.

You know it deals with the lights, its really not that hard if you just set a side like a couple hrs of your day you can find it. Plus this way you will get more firmilliar with the bike by pulling it apart:D

but thats just me and what i would do.

04TRX400EX
06-29-2005, 11:41 PM
400exbiggun:

Only reason that I would take it to the dealer is because it's under warranty, plus they didn't fix it the first time anyways. However, I am sure that its not that hard to figure out myself, it doesn't sound like its difficult to do, I did a simplified version of what you all said the other day. Also, that it a good point about it allowing me to become more familiar with the quad.

Thanks for all the help! :)

400exbiggun
06-30-2005, 06:16 AM
Sorry my bad :o. didnt know its under warranty. In that case your right.

07-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Just put in a bigger fuse

I got an LED tail light n i had to go from a 15 to a 25

It stranded me in a stripmine pit they were working in the next day n my dads new truck didnt fit it in the back so we had to put it in the back of our expedition n it wasnt in the whole way held by seat belts n my dads belt

What a night!