PDA

View Full Version : loose sprocket hub? LSR axle

44oEX
06-27-2005, 09:03 PM
well the bearing on my ex are shot, so when I took the axle out I noticed that the sprocket hub on my LSR was loose, it's not to bad but there is noticible play in the hub. I was thinking, just take it out, pack it full of grease and then reinstall...would it work? i know it's not the best permanante fix but it should work for a while right?

buying a new hub is not a option... too much $$$, I do have a stock hub on a stock axle but I don't really want to take a good one off, and put a stock one on a LSR axle.

Oh and it there seposed to be a spacer on the sprocket side? at first I taught I broke the hub but the peice came off really easy and the edge is clean so I would think it's just a spacer.

thanks

xc400ex
06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Both LSR axles I've had have been like that. They arent really all that tough. Best thing I can tell you to do is put red loctite on the splines.

44oEX
06-28-2005, 07:30 AM
so you saying it is normal and it won't get any worst? just ride like that and forget about it?...sound good to me :D

you really think lock tigh will do anything?

dantwo
06-28-2005, 10:04 AM
The sprocket hub will come loose over time, which is just the way aluminum is. Also if you just had your bearings go out that will also loosen your hub. Depending on how hot your carrier got and how long it took you to notice that it was going bad. That just adds a lot of heat and stress on that hub. If you only had the axle a short amount of time it could be a warranty issue that the hub was installed improperly. It is very rear to happen, but it can happen. You can keep riding it and it will slowly get worst, but it will not hurt your axle. If you need a good price on a hub, I might have some good used hubs that I can hook a good deal on. Any other questions please just ask? I try to look at this site all the time. Or just call me at the shop.

Dan @ LSR
800-457-7223 ext 203

400grl
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
LSR is in the HOOOUUUUUUSSSE!!! :) ;)

44oEX
06-28-2005, 07:55 PM
ok thanks Dan

I take off the hub jammed it full of grease and put it back on. it was still a little loose but the grease helped a little...I just went out and checked and with everything back up and running the hub seems tight.. so I guess it's all good...but like you said since the hub is aluminum and the axle it hardened steel it won'r damage the axle at all right?

and I bought all the stuff used ( axle and a-arms ) so there is no warranty right? anyway... I got some tie rods from you guys a couple months back and I love the stickers you sent me but I lost them is there anyway you could send me some more, I can pm you me address...hey it's cheap addvertising :D and I like you stuff so you know...

thanks I just hope it hold for a while know, hub and bearings.

Rico
06-30-2005, 06:29 AM
My hub is shot and now my LS axle sits in the garage and collects dust. I have my trusty stocker in there now.

How much for one of those used hubs??

Does it have the insert made of metal so the hub doesn't wear out again??

I don't understand why you would warranty a bent axle which is caused by the user. But you won't warranty the hub when that has nothing to do with the user but the material and how it's made. Manufacturing defect I think that is not covered under warranty. All that power from the motor is getting transfered to that axle were a less dense metal like aluminum is used with a strong alloy steal.

I understand the Hub is aluminum to save wieght. I"d rather have a heavier hub that lasts longer than save the 2 lbs and have a axle that collects dust.

Yeah I guess I"M crying again about this issue but paying $350 for an axle that should not have a loose hub. You never hear of a stock axle sprocket hub coming loose. Aluminum hub on that axle is about as good as plastic bearings in my axle carrier.

PS... Great to have you on the site Dan.....:D

xc400ex
06-30-2005, 09:35 AM
My thoughts exactly!

dantwo
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I will try to explain this best I can, but metals don’t last forever. We use 6061 aluminum on the sprocket hub for weight savings and it is plenty strong. For some people it will last them forever and some just a few years. Anything you buy and it is raced or ridden hard does have a different life expectancy.
How old is your axle that is collecting dust and how many hours you think you have on it? Have you ever blow up a carrier one time or more? What type of riding do you do? Where you the original purchaser of that axle that is collecting dust? Please get back to me on this and I will see what I can do.

Dan @ LSR

Pappy
06-30-2005, 08:27 PM
would over tightening of the axle nut cause side load issues and weaken the hub causing it to loosen?

ive seen some folks take a 6 foot long pipe and pipe wrench to re tighten the bearing carrier. ive even seen some crushed tubes, just wondering of it could affect the sprock hub?

dantwo
07-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes! That will cause a lot of stress on the bearing housing. Which in turn the bearing housing will wear out faster and get hotter than it should be. Then the heat will expand the aluminum which would let the sprocket hub to come loose and wear on the splines. So when it cools down it won’t have the same press fit as it did when it first shipped. Binding on housings is very bad for your sprocket hub side and as well as the brake side. There is no need for a six foot cheater bar to tighten your lock nut. You can hand tighten it till there is no play side to side and then go ¼ to ½ of a turn.

Dan @ LSR

Rico
07-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by dantwo
I will try to explain this best I can, but metals don’t last forever. We use 6061 aluminum on the sprocket hub for weight savings and it is plenty strong. For some people it will last them forever and some just a few years. Anything you buy and it is raced or ridden hard does have a different life expectancy.
How old is your axle that is collecting dust and how many hours you think you have on it? Have you ever blow up a carrier one time or more? What type of riding do you do? Where you the original purchaser of that axle that is collecting dust? Please get back to me on this and I will see what I can do.

Dan @ LSR

I will say that I litterly hand tighten the axle nut then do a 1/2 to 1/4 turn with a wrench on it to snug it up a little but never torque it down...

The axle is not new by any means. It is about 4 years old and I understand that it will have wear on it from the abuse it's seen both on the MX track and in XC racing. I just don't see why it wouldn't be covered under warranty but a bent axle will. It's not like I"m complaining that the chrome is wore off which is natural wear but that hub coming loose is a bad design i think. I see stock axles in quads all the time that are over 5 years old and older. Probably because stock axles don't have aluminum hubs so they are still in perfect working order. I guess if a replacement hub was cheaper it would be no big deal but another $140 for a hub is outa my grasp.

I am the original purchaser of the axle.

I have never blown up a carrier. I actually replaced the bearings for the first time on my burgard carrier last week and I've owned it for 3 years. I"m a maint freak and keep everything on my quad in perfect working condition as to not prematuraly wear parts out.

dantwo
07-01-2005, 07:56 AM
I do not know what to say, but it dose happen. The sprocket hub is something you will have to replace time to time like the bearings in your housing. Not as often as your bearings of course, but you will have to replace your hub if you ride a lot and are a hard rider. You can press your stock one on if you like, but I do understand it is not the same. I do know we have changed the steel insert in our sprocket hub from the one you have. It tends to keep the heat away from the aluminum a little better. If you want to see if I have any used hubs for your axle please call and I will find something.

As for this being a bad design or the wrong material. I do make a race axle. I know if I made the hub out of some steel of some sorts it would weight 40 to 60 percent more. That is just unacceptable in this industry. So when it comes down to racing, 2-3pounds is a lot. It is rotating mass and that is a lot of power loss when you are only dealing with 40 to 60 horse power. So you have had your axle 4 years and it sounds like you take better care then most. I have no idea on how many hours you have put on it, but it sounds like it is getting close to the time to change your hub.

So please call I will always do what I can.
Thanks for the info!
Dan @ LSR

Rico
07-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks for your time Dan and it's good to see you on the site.