PDA

View Full Version : axle bearings

t_400ex
06-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I feel really stupid asking this, but how do you take the axle off of a 400ex? I've been having tons of problems with the axle nuts. When I get it off, what is the best way to get the bearings out?

06-27-2005, 09:03 PM
i just redid those on my 300 and its a real pain in the @$$ untill yuo know what you are doing, so here it goes, first get your bike up on stand or bucket or sumthing to hold it up, the take both rear wheels off, then take off the bolts holding the sprocket on, then the hubs if you didnt take them off with the wheels, then take off the brake caliper, loosen the outside axle nut untill you see the little clip, use a screw diver to pop the clip out, then tighten the nut untill it comes off, then once you have every thing disconected from the axle, put the nut used to hold the hub just a little bit on the axle on the left side of the bike so that you dont mess any threads up, then with a big hamer start pounding away untill it comes out then the bearings are inside the swing arm and you have to take all of the drums out to get to them, hope this helps, whoo this was a long post

duke416ex
06-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Ok, well you don't have to take both wheels and hubs off, but it may be easier for you. Just remove the one on the brake side. Loosen the lock nut and the axle nut completely off the threads, I think they are reverse threads, chase the threads to be sure. Then take the axle out. You will have to take the clip off the carrier against the brake stay off to get the carrier out. After you get that off and the 4 bolts on the swinger, the carrier should just tap out. Then the fun starts getting the bearings out, I usually bust one out and then use something to tap the other one out.