PDA

View Full Version : Another 400 not starting, any ideas?

honda4life
09-17-2001, 07:50 AM
Ok guys I am confused. I did a search on the not starting and didn't find anything that resembled my problem. See if this makes any sense.

I rode over to my neighbors on Sat., a few hundred yards. I putz over there and shut the wheeler off. Go to start it 10 min. later and it wouldn't start. There was spark, and fuel, good connections to the battery. It wouldn't even fire. So we pulled it and it popped right off. Idled fine, shut it off and it restarted no problem. Went home, shut it off, checked it again and it started. A few hours later checked and it wouldn't start. Pulled it again, started up no problem, same as before. An hour later I checked it and it started. Later that night I figured what the hell I'll check it again, and guess what...it wouldn't start.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

papaw
09-17-2001, 02:58 PM
is it trying to start or is it clicking or totally dead to the world?it could be many of things....

honda4life
09-17-2001, 03:07 PM
It turns over fine, just won't fire unless you give it a pull. At first I thought electrical but after I pull start it I can shut it off and start it up again, so I'm thinking fuel. I am going to start going over it tonight.

400exBro
09-17-2001, 03:13 PM
i had them same problem, i figures out i put a low octane fuel in it (89) and fouled the plugs :rolleyes: So i got a new plug and now i am running a 94/92 octane fuel in her try this if this doesn t help i can t think of what else is wrong!!!!
lata
400exBro

honda4life
09-17-2001, 03:19 PM
I always run the highest pump gas I can get, I checked the plug it didn't seem to be fouled but I am putting a new one in. I have never run into this before, it just doesn't make sense. Thanks again guys!

kabd69667
09-17-2001, 03:54 PM
I have the sparks x-4 and i run race fuel in mine because thats what my one buddy said that put it on. He said it wouldn't run right w/o it. 110 octane I think. Maybe put some racin gas in that

honda4life
09-17-2001, 04:26 PM
I talked to Sparks and they said to try and put the stock CDI back in it. They said that the high rev CDI's (everybody's)are notorious for having problems when it gets a little cooler. A solution, nope, put your stock CDI back in or carry it w/you for cold starting. Anybody heard of this? That is the first thing I'll try tonight and let you all know. If anybody else has any ideas, please let me know, it is all very helpful.

bsr
09-17-2001, 04:33 PM
I dont know why it wont start.. sorry

you said your neighbors like a couple hundred yards away ? you are a true redneck ..heh no offence

bsr
09-17-2001, 04:34 PM
** live ** :)

nakomis0
09-17-2001, 06:08 PM
I was going to say fouling out plugs, or your rev box. the box needs the engine to rotate faster than the old box did to start the bike. Its getting a little cooler where I live and on cooler nights I kinda have the same problem.

Some guys mount the stock rev box next to the aftermarket, so they can just unplug the new and plug in the old when they have a problem. I just get pull started alot in the winter.

Yours is kinda weird though because ussually once my bikes warm it will start, even in winter.

honda4life
09-18-2001, 07:48 AM
Well I put my stock rev box in last night and it popped right off, I had no idea that was a possibility. I think that if that is a common problem that there would be some type of solution. I think that I will "borrow" an idea that Sparks told me. I should get another plug in and mount the old rev box, splice that to the existing harness with a switch to it so I can toggle between the two for starting. I wonder if that would work?

Thanks for the help guys!

bsr- no offense taken, I've been called worse.

nakomis0
09-18-2001, 05:16 PM
Ha thats a good idea having a switch for them!, I'm going to do that.
It looks like Im going to have alot of crap going on, on my bars, I'm in the process of putting a switch for my strobe lights in right now. I have a tach mounted on the bars, a kill switch, and hopefully a speedometer soon.

One good crash and I'll probably whip em all out:blah