PDA

View Full Version : Rico Knighttime or anyone that has removed choke

Taco
05-28-2002, 06:14 PM
was messing with the carb the other day (42 pilot jet) and was wanting to take out my choke. Do you have to grind the screws out to remove the butterfly? help me out here guys. Also on a side note. Where is the air screw located on this thing?

DESDAK4
05-28-2002, 06:27 PM
All you have to do is take the air boot off and look in the carb, then get a "X" head screw driver and take out the two screws you are looking at. Then you can pull the black cap off the left side of the shaft and the shaft can be pulled out, then put the cap back. Done

Taco
05-28-2002, 06:31 PM
well on the other end of those 2 screws the edges are flared out and i tried to remove them and I was just starting to round the head out so i decided i would leave it for another day.

400exJOE
05-28-2002, 06:42 PM
when removing ANY screw from the carb, tap on the back of the screw driver with lightly with a rubber mallet so they don't strip out.

DESDAK4
05-28-2002, 06:45 PM
That would work I guess but I just used good ole American *****

05-28-2002, 07:11 PM
What does removing teh Choke Do?

Besides make is not there anymore.

250xman
05-28-2002, 07:24 PM
just makes the air go through a little easier. i did it to my X and i noticed a little difference in the bottom end and mid power. just push the throttle a few times before you start it and its just the same as if you had it still on.

Smoker
05-28-2002, 08:02 PM
I noticed better throttle response when I took my choke off. I installed the 42 pilot jet when I rejetted for a pipe and air filter and it seemed a bit sluggish on the bottom since it richened it up. Then when I took the choke off it leans the bottom out a bit and throttle response improved. Worth the trouble of removing like 250xman said, a few pumps of the throttle to get some fuel in there and she'll fire up. :p

knighttime
05-28-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Tacostrk
well on the other end of those 2 screws the edges are flared out and i tried to remove them and I was just starting to round the head out so i decided i would leave it for another day.

Those screws are designed that way so that they dont vibrate loose. Get a good bit and screw them out while keeping pressure on the screw head; but make sure u account for those "flared ends". They will break off when u remove the screws. Make sure remove the small pieces of metal before they get sucked into the carb and who the f' knows where after that.

I think I have some pics from when i removed the choke. I'll post em tomorrow, but you'll be fine. Just stay loose and take your time.

05-29-2002, 07:47 AM
Taco,,,follow this link,,it has the pics and review that knighttime did on removing the choke...I'me gonna go ahead and throw it in the FAQ forum too for other's that might want to see this..

http://209.120.142.52/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9144&highlight=all+choked+up