PDA

View Full Version : Help: quad won't find neutral

04TRX400EX
06-27-2005, 02:07 PM
OK, so we have three 400EX's and two of them work fine. My dad's however has an incredibly hard time finding neutral gear. We took it into the dealer to have them check it as well as some other things- they said that after adjusting the clutch it finds neutral fine. I took it up and down the street a couple of times and it did seem to shift a little better, and when stopping, neutral was easier to find. It still feels nothing like my transmission though. Mine is so smooth and very easy to find neutral, where my dad's, even after adjustment, is back to what it was. The trans is very "clunky" feeling, for lack of better words, and it is impossible to find neutral yet again. The gears go from 1st-2nd, 1st-2nd, 2nd-1st ... never hitting neutral. What's wrong? :mad:

duke416ex
06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Sounds like the cable is going out of adjustment fst, you probably need a new cable. If that doesn't fix it probably just a new clutch, neither is a very big deal. I highly doubt anything is wrong inside the tranny.

vinson581
06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
or it could be a bent shift fork, or a bad shift drum.. on the downside.

v581

vinson581
06-27-2005, 03:16 PM
o does he ever feel compelled to shift without the clutch? that will do it.

chucked
06-27-2005, 03:20 PM
next time you have trouble finding it, shut it off, then while still holding in the clutch try to find it.

04TRX400EX
06-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Sounds like there are some things I need to check, and no, he doesn't shift without the clutch. I just find it hard to believe that there may be all of these potential problems with a bike that is three months old, especially when we have two others that don't have any problems.

Oh, and shutting it off to try to find neutral doesn't help it at all.

Thaks for the help :)

Jason250ex
06-28-2005, 12:00 AM
id count on it being a mfg. defect, and sounds like you still have 3 months of warranty...id use it while i still could