PDA

View Full Version : differential gearing??????

Stevie-D
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
i blew the rear end out of my 95 dakota the other night. i'm currently looking for a used rear from a junkyard. how can i figure out the gearing in the rear differential??? i've found sights that say that there is a code printed on the axle housing, but i can't find anything. the rear end is a dana 35

wilkin250r
06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
There should be a code printed on the door that has that information. You may need to do a web search to figure out how to decode it.

Quad18star
06-27-2005, 01:49 PM
If you turn the wheel hub one complete rotation and count how many times the knuckle on the drive shaft turns , you should be able to get an approximation as to what type of gears you have .

Or you can do it the easy way and look at the tags on the inside of the door . :p

Scott-300ex
06-27-2005, 01:59 PM
turn the wheel once, see how many times the driveshaft turns

there might be a printing of it on the axle tube

if you got it apart, count the gears on the pinion gear, and count the gears on the ring gear and divide them by each other and that will give you the exact ratio

duke416ex
06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
I had a 94 dodge ram, the gear codes were on a tag under the hood instead of on the door. It told the axle ratios and final ratio in low lock. If you have differential cover off, you can count the teeth. Mark a tooth on the ring gear and start counting, count the ring gear and then count the pinion gear teeth. Divide them into each other to get the ratio. Most ring gears will have a code stamped in the edge of the telling you what they are. They should have numbers seperate from the other code on them that say like 373 or 410 or 283, or whatever the ratio is.

Stevie-D
06-27-2005, 04:23 PM
i figured it out. it was stamped on the side of the ring gear. thanks for the help.

the ratio is 3.55. so tomorrow after work im going junkyard hopping til i find a rear end for it. hopefully i can find a posi to throw under there.:p

duke416ex
06-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Good luck in the junk yard, at times it is a needle in a haystack. Just don't take their word on what the gears are, check to see for yourself.