PDA

View Full Version : Just removed Fan and starter

Shocka400ex
06-27-2005, 08:17 AM
I am installing my kicker to my YFZ and had to remove the starter and fan assembly. If anyone needs a replacement or wants an extra PM me and let me know. I'll hook you up.

Narly R
07-01-2005, 12:18 AM
How did the conversion go? Do you still have your battery?

Shocka400ex
07-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Not finished quite yet but I am removing ALL wires and battery. Strictly MX bike. I'll get pics when I'm finished.

400grl
07-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Justin, I will be thinking about you as I pass your stalled out *** in a corner!!! LOL!!! :) ;) Kick kick kick kick kick.........

I'm just playin'!! :blah:

kuba1506
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
i know a guy that did that to his YFZ and it gave him problems when he removed the fan it started to over heat on him.....hope you dont have this problem just to save a little weight

Shocka400ex
07-05-2005, 07:38 AM
There are a few things to keep your bike from over heating. Engine ice, bigger radiator, etc... These items are on E-bay now.
Thank you all for your opinions.

YamaWarr0121
07-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Engine ice alone will not stop it from overheating i'm sorry. A larger radiator might, perhaps. I would, well, i have, and am concurrently doing, running a kick start conversion, no starter gear, and a BATTERY. You will soon realize you need to put the battery on again or you will continue to fry stators.

The good set up seems to be, Kickstart, Battery, Fan, no Starter, and a redone wiring harness by ATV Innovations, a Guy who is the lead mechanic for Duncan racing performs the wiring harness changes very well, anyway you want them, and can have it back quickly. Just call Duncan, they'll send you in the right place..

Toadz400
07-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by YamaWarr0121
The good set up seems to be, Kickstart, Battery, Fan, no Starter, and a redone wiring harness by ATV Innovations, a Guy who is the lead mechanic for Duncan racing performs the wiring harness changes very well, anyway you want them, and can have it back quickly. Just call Duncan, they'll send you in the right place..

Is the battery left on for the fan? I thought that the fan ran off of the stator like the lights do.

Shocka400ex
07-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Engine ice alone will not stop it from overheating i'm sorry. A larger radiator might, perhaps. I would, well, i have, and am concurrently doing, running a kick start conversion, no starter gear, and a BATTERY. You will soon realize you need to put the battery on again or you will continue to fry stators.

Thanks for your advise. I think an oversized radiator, oversized oil tank and engine ice will be fine.
The fan and starter are sold BTW.:D

YamaWarr0121
07-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Is the battery left on for the fan? I thought that the fan ran off of the stator like the lights do.

ya know, i don't quite know, i never had either or with the batteyr, i had No battery, no fan = dead stator
battery, no fan = over heat
battery, and fan = good! :)

Shocka400ex
07-12-2005, 08:10 AM
See what some of the top pro's start running this next season, Corry Ellis, Keith Little, etc... Kickers! Thanks again for trying to pursuade (sp) my decision but no, i'm not interested. This thread is dead!!!

YamaWarr0121
07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
i run a kick! :)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/lemons228/DSC02318.jpg

Toadz400
07-13-2005, 07:50 AM
ya know, i don't quite know, i never had either or with the batteyr, i had No battery, no fan = dead stator
battery, no fan = over heat
battery, and fan = good! :)

I've read that the fan runs off of the stator just like the lights do, but one time when I shut it off (left the key on) the fan was going. I turned the key off and back on and the fan didn't start up again. That is one of the only times the fan has ever turned on after I've been riding, the other time was when I had it sitting for a few minutes.

YamaWarr0121
07-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Hm, you know, i'm not sure again.. The fan has definately ran when my key was turned off, and kill switch pulled out. So that means it must run off the stator? But i never ran just the fan and no battery, maybe the fan is enough current from the stator to keep it from fouling out? A local pro, Donny Lysinger, to me, told me to put my battery back on from frying stators.. he didn't run the battery, but ran a fan, and still went through stators every few races, while without a fan and no battery with kickstart i went through a stator about every other race

mountaineer
07-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Do your lights run with the key on? No.
The stator only works with the motor running.
The battery runs the fan but the stator might help when the bike is running but I am not sure. I have a kick start and would like to lose the battery,fan ect. but I do not want any troubles.

Toadz400
07-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by mountaineer
Do your lights run with the key on? No.
The stator only works with the motor running.
The battery runs the fan but the stator might help when the bike is running but I am not sure. I have a kick start and would like to lose the battery,fan ect. but I do not want any troubles.

Look on the Yamaha website, they have something on there that you buy so you don't fry your stator after removing the battery.