PDA

View Full Version : twin air filters on the Raptor?

cjkranz
06-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Has anyone taken off their air box and ran two airfilters directly to the carbs? I run only in the dunes (never mud or water) and I am trying to find out if this is a good idea? If you have done it or have seen it done I would appreciate the info and feedback. I am also wondering how much more power (if any) I would gain by doing this vs running with no airlid and a pro-flow kit (which I have on it now.) thanks, jk

MadDog56
06-26-2005, 11:22 PM
From what I understand its better to use the intake stacks for the stock carbs because of the CV design. But you can get 2 individual filters to run on a proper bracket.

cjkranz
06-27-2005, 11:09 AM
thanks for the info. This is the majority of the answers are coming back as...Also I was told that even if I did get them on that the open airbox with a Pro-Flow kit still provided the same HP. jk

MadDog56
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Dual filters will flow more and make more hp than the pro-flow kit, but not a drastic amount.

BushManRebel
06-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey MD,

I have the K&N proflow on my rappy with the outerwears always on...am I getting any air restrictions with the outerwears cover always on? I know it keeps the water out of the filter. As I ride everyday and rains every few days so im forced to keep it on...

As for over there do they keep them on for races even if its not wet out?

MadDog56
06-28-2005, 02:43 PM
The outerwears do restrict intake, but not by much. The benefit outweighs the cost for anything but a pure drag machine. I leave my outerwears on all the time. Its just important to make sure your filters are clean and oiled.

cjkranz
06-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey thanks for all the info. I think I have found a solution to my question. I have kept the Pro Flow on but have cut away the majority of the box. It looks great and is sturdy. This will keep the "velocity" tubes in place and not cost me anything else. I'll let you know what kind of difference (if any) this makes once I have the jetting dialed in.

MadDog56
06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

cjkranz
07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Here is an update on the jetting...I am at approx 1200 ft elevation, and last jetting combo we tried still isn't enough fuel.. I tried a 195/200 combo, raised the needle all the way, and have the air mix screw out 1 3/4 turn. It ran great expect for the last 1/4 of throttle. It's still a little lean. If I used my choke (out approx 1/4 - 1/2 way, the bike ran even better and wasn't cutting out on the top end. I was told that a 200 is the biggest jet I can find/buy. Next option..drill them out.

In a last ditch effort, we drilled out two 150 jets using a 7/64 drill bit. I finally found a jet too big. It was cutting out on the top end, would get even worse if I used the choke, and left a very dark film on the inside of my exhaust can. (too rich). We are planning a trip to Glammis in November, I may keep these jets for then. But for Ks riding, I need to go smaller. I'll get some more drill bits and keep trying.... Has anyone else had this problem when running an open airfilter on a Raptor?

FYI...with the biggest jets, the bike ran very good. I think/hope it will be worth all the effor and the extra fuel consumption...Any recommendations would be great appreciated.

cjkranz
07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
UPDATE!!!.....something isn't right with my set up now (as several of you have stated.) Called and talked with several of the guys at Dynajetm, including one of the engineers that designed the Raptor jet kit. He stated that I shouldn't be any larger then a 175/180 (with dyno jet, not sure of the other companies sizes). He said some of it could do with my slide springs not being right. He stated they had a kit, along with several other parts totally near $100. They were great help!! He stated the better option was to call LRD and talk to them about a special kit they have for the Raptors. I did this and they stated the same thing. Shouldn't be any larger then a 175/180. They have a kit for around $80 that has everything in it, needle, jets, springs, etc..Thanks LRD and hopefully this will get the Rappy going again, and not sucking down a full tank of gas in 30 minutes....