PDA

View Full Version : rolling while in gear, what wrong?

muddy400EX
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
whenever i shift my 400 into gear with the clutch pulled in it takes off rolling. ive tried adjusting the clutch but it didnt do anything at all. is something with the clutch messed up, do i need a new clutch?

jak1389
06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
when the clutch is pulled in it is like it is neutral. is this what your talking about?

muddy400EX
06-26-2005, 07:11 PM
no i mean when i shift into gear it takes off rolling like im letting the clutch out but im not. its in gear with the clutch pulled in but it rolls, but when i push the throttle it dont roll anymore:confused:

1fastZ1slowridr
06-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
no i mean when i shift into gear it takes off rolling like im letting the clutch out but im not. its in gear with the clutch pulled in but it rolls, but when i push the throttle it dont roll anymore:confused:

It stops rolling when you hit the gas?

Tommy 17
06-26-2005, 08:01 PM
mine did that when i needed a new clutch basket... the grooves in the basket where catching the plates...

k&k_400ex_82
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok first make sure there is play in the clutch lever it should move freely u should be able to fit a a couple quarters between the clutch and the clutch perch without engaging the clutch if it engages right when u pull it in the u need to adjust the thing on the clutch perch which is also on the cable. adjust it out. if there is no adjustment left go to the clutch side of the motor and there is an ajustment there. there two nuts that u have to play with. and if theres play and it still rolls then u need to replace your clutch plates

markk
06-28-2005, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
mine did that when i needed a new clutch basket... the grooves in the basket where catching the plates...

Thats what came into my mind first. My buddies old 416 did the same thing a few years ago.