PDA

View Full Version : Save my life!

Iliketogofast
06-26-2005, 03:55 PM
All right, I'm gonna have to ask you guys for a little help. Heres the story. I'm riding my 250R yesterday, everythings going fine... It's running like a dream like always. Then I stopped, turned the gas off and started going without thinking about it. I was going REALLY fast on this fire road, and it died, I knew what happened so I reached down and turned it on. It kicked back in for a little bit but then it started running like ****. It wouldnt start back up so I had a buddy pull start me. It started but didn't give any throttle response til 3/4 throttle. So I had him pull me back. I pulled the plug cause I thought it fouled. It was smashed in, so it obviously hit. Gapped it back out, put it in and started trying to kick it. That's when the kickstarter locked up... And this is where I need help. I don't know whats wrong with it. I figure that when it ran out of gas, since it's a 2 stroke it also ran out of oil, and threw the rod, because the parts were moving so fast when it ran out. I need to know what I'll need, if I have to split the case (Please tell me no) and how much it's gonna cost me. I really appreciate the help guys... thanks.

06-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Well if you cant even kick it over then yeah something went really wrong, probabaly you were at WOT when it ran out of gas and for a few seconds ran Super Lean.

Your gona have to open it up, no way around it, sorry.

Prey
06-26-2005, 06:03 PM
what wolf said, you are gonna have to take off the cylinder, then try moving the kickstart lever, if it is still locked you are gonna have to split the cases.

good luck

Tom TRX250R
06-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Your crank seized up or your piston is screwed! Mine did the same thing because I somehow got a little sand in the motor and didn't run it for a few weeks and went out to kick start and put all my weight on the kickstarter and it wouldn't budge. Like stated above the few seconds you did run without gas/oil mixture was enough to cause it to seize. You will have to split the cases (not that tough) Just remember to buy a flywheel puller, $10, and then keep the transmission together. Send the crank off to ESR and they can rebuild it for $125. Then you'll have to bore the cylinder, $40-$50, and buy a piston kit another $100. So if it is both the crank and piston, you are looking at about $250 to fix it. Once you rebuild the crank you won't have to mess with it for a long time. One more thing, when you do have the lower end split apart you should check all bearings and replace anything questionable. I would probably rebuild counter balancer while your at it too. Check the transmission too and replace any gear that is damaged.

Iliketogofast
06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Feck. I hope it's just the piston.

06-26-2005, 06:53 PM
its gonna be mroe than the piston... im sure

Iliketogofast
06-26-2005, 07:12 PM
****. Dude, I should just do a 500R project like you :D

Robin Hood
06-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
****. Dude, I should just do a 500R project like you :D

Yup. :D

Pistons prolly shot and might need some honing done.....

Anyway, let me be the first to wish you good lukc on your 500 project haha.

Iliketogofast
06-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Eh... it's okay. I have some money, the only problem is I don't know what the hell I'll be doing. And I'm not putting a CR500 motor in it, I like how light it is now :D

06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
cr500 engine not much heavier than the 250 engine :)

honda350r
06-27-2005, 09:28 PM
Let that be a lesson learned! Never shut you fuel off untill it is loaded on the trailer or truck!

Don't do a 500 it will make you quad worthless!!

Iliketogofast
06-27-2005, 11:02 PM
It leaked when you left it on.

beerock
06-29-2005, 07:13 PM
you leaned the motor out and seized it, if the motor isnt kicking over then you blew a rod or main bearing.

if i was you i would fix your shut off leak. and keep it on. hell i keep it on even on the trailer.

06-29-2005, 07:20 PM
LOL so my quad is worthless ???

right now i have 4 people begging me for it at about 3 times the price i paid for it :)

But your entitled to your opionion ;)

86-250Rnut
06-29-2005, 09:11 PM
U got a kick *** quad wolf, dont listen to them:blah:

06-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I know i do :) and i dont listen to them specially when it comes to that vibration crap :)

Iliketogofast
07-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I got into the motor... It's just the piston as far as I know. There was a little chunk out of the side of it all the way down to the rings. The problem is now that I can't get the top end off. That is obviously why it was messed up, because now the friggen jug won't even come loose. I need to know now what I can do to get it off and get that piston out. I really appreciate all the help guys!

86-250Rnut
07-02-2005, 01:37 PM
lube it up and put your back into it:)

07-02-2005, 04:40 PM
That chunk is jammed in there someplace and you cant tell the full extent of the damage until youget the jug off, for sure you gonna have lots of deep gouges in the cylinder wall.

forcing it down will just scratch the cylinder wall even more, its already scratched so i guess it cant get any worse...

Its siezed in there, put a torch to the piston head and get it nice and hot and tap it down with a rubber mallet

Iliketogofast
07-02-2005, 11:30 PM
If I remember correctly the chunk was in the pipe's bladder, so only a little of it is in there still.