PDA

View Full Version : Ah... crap.

Iliketogofast
06-26-2005, 03:53 PM
All right, I'm gonna have to ask you guys for a little help. Heres the story. I'm riding my 250R yesterday, everythings going fine... It's running like a dream like always. Then I stopped, turned the gas off and started going without thinking about it. I was going REALLY fast on this fire road, and it died, I knew what happened so I reached down and turned it on. It kicked back in for a little bit but then it started running like ****. It wouldnt start back up so I had a buddy pull start me. It started but didn't give any throttle response til 3/4 throttle. So I had him pull me back. I pulled the plug cause I thought it fouled. It was smashed in, so it obviously hit. Gapped it back out, put it in and started trying to kick it. That's when the kickstarter locked up... And this is where I need help. I don't know whats wrong with it. I figure that when it ran out of gas, since it's a 2 stroke it also ran out of oil, and threw the rod, because the parts were moving so fast when it ran out. I need to know what I'll need, if I have to split the case (Please tell me no) and how much it's gonna cost me. I really appreciate the help guys... thanks.

RiderTRX400ex
06-26-2005, 04:28 PM
it sounds like when the gas was off it just leaned the chit outta it since u were moving pretty good u said, causing the rings or wristpin or cylinder wall to lose lube and take a dump on you.. and the kickstart locking up sounds like the piston ceized up

06-26-2005, 05:15 PM
you probly just need new rings and you might have to hone your cylinder ;)

bry400ex
06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
my blaster had the same problem and it was becouse it lost compresion and i had to by a new piston.

Iliketogofast
06-26-2005, 06:43 PM
But the piston hit the spark plug before it went out. And the kickstarter locked up. If the piston hit the plug wouldnn't it have to be loose on the rod?

RiderTRX400ex
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
well it is a possibility that the big end bearings went, but it could have just been a piece of a ring or something else that hit the plug...?

velocityatv
06-27-2005, 11:44 AM
FIRST UP HOW OLD IS YOUR TOP END? HAVE YOU EVER HAD THE CRANK BEARINGS REPLACED, EVER? WHAT DID THE PLUG LOOK LIKE WHEN YOU PULLED IT OUT? OBVIOUSLY IF YOU WERE HAULING LIKE YOU SAY WHEN IT DIED YOU DID THE SME THING AS A PLUG RUN WAS SHE BROWN, WHITE FAT WITH OIL DRIPPING.... WHEN THE MOTOR COOLED DID YOU TRY TO KICK IT OVER? ALOT OF TIMES WHEN A TOPEND LOCKS UP YOU LET IT COOL DOWN AND IT WILL KICK OVER. FROM THE INFO YOU'VE GIVEN SO FAR I THINK IT'S PRETTY MUCH GOING TO WARRANT TAKING THE TOP END OFF. $23 BUCK FOR A GASKET KIT. INSPECT WHAT YOU HAVE IF YOU NEED TO REBUILD TOP END ONLY THEN GREAT. IF NOT THEN YOU ALREADY HAVE THE JUG OFF JUST SPLIT YOUR CASES AND INSPECT THE BOTTOM END. ALSO WHEN TEARING DOWN INSPECT FOR COLOR. IF THERE IS ANY BLUEING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ROD, THEN THAT WOULD MEAN YOU NEED TO SPLIT THE CASES AND HAVE THE ROD REPLACED AND CRANK REBUILT. I'VE BEEN THRU MANY R MOTORS, AND SO HAS SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM, IF YOU CAN ANSWER SOME OF THE QUESTIONS AT THE TOP OF THIS IT'LL HELP WITH DIAGNOSTICS. YA CAN'T JUST TELL SOMEONE IT DIED, I KICKED, IT DIDN'T, SO NOW WHAT...

Iliketogofast
06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
The owner before me had it for 6 years and never rebuilt it because it ALWAYS ran perfect. He called the owner before him about it and told me he hadn't rebuilt it either. When I pulled the plug it was completely dry, there were a few black stains on it. but it was so dry there wasn't even anything to burn off. No, I kicked it initially while it was warm, kicked it about 20 times before it locked. It still won't kick, and its cool now... Its been sitting there for 2 days.

AtvMxRider
06-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Only thing you can do it pull it apart. Sounds like the piston seized.

Quadman250R
06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
take the cylinder off and check it out and go from their, hopefully nothing went down in the bottom of the motor. but your piston siezed and it could be as simple as a ring.

Iliketogofast
06-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I went out in the garage a while ago, got the motor out already, I'm gonna go pick up a manual tomorrow in case I get stuck... Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.

tater_kamik
06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
fun with it! sounds like a great excuse to give it some power parts while you got it apart! let us know how it goes!

ex kid
06-28-2005, 06:16 AM
sounds like you ran it lean and blew it up! pull the cylinder off, get it bored and check the bottom end real good.

bwamos
06-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Be glad at this point you have a 2-stroke. ;)

MUCH easier to rebuild... hehe.

Iliketogofast
06-28-2005, 12:25 PM
This things gonna be a beast. I'm gonna price an ESR350 Power Valve... But I wont be able to afford it. I'll brobably just do the regular .10 over with an IMS Rod and Wiseco piston.

06-29-2005, 05:47 PM
wait, why did u turn the gas of if you werent done riding in the 1st place?

Iliketogofast
07-02-2005, 12:53 PM
It has a little leak. Anyways, I got the dome off and theres a friggen chunk out of the piston. That's the problem right there :D Now the thing is that I can't get the piston loose from the jug so I can check the bottom end and replace the piston. Any advice there? I'm thinking about taking a wood block and knockin it a few times, But I'm afraid if there's anything stuck it will score it up.

tater_kamik
07-02-2005, 01:16 PM
its alreadybeen going up anddown against the cylinder wall so i would say screw it and just try to knock i off. worst comes to worse get it bored a little and get an oversized piston (but only to have a good cylinder wall, yeah, thats why i would do it... :devil: )

Iliketogofast
07-02-2005, 11:33 PM
It's getting bored anyway, my dad knows the owner at the local shop, we can probably get a little of a discount on the machine work.

cjracer
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
If there is a chuck missing from the piston, make sure you pull the crank out and replace rod and bearings, and inspect the main bearings. Better yet just replace them, they are 20 yrs old and pretty cheap. You may need to put the motor back in the frame to get some of the nuts off of the crank and clutch. Its hard to hold the motor on a bench and the frame makes a good vice. Beware of left hand theads on some of the nuts. Check your manual. You can do it, and good luck. :D Use locktight when you reassemble and torque everything properly.

QuadRacer18
07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
When you tear it apart make sure you check the play from side-to-side and up and down motion on the rod, if it doesnt meet up to specs in the manual you should get new bottom end bearings and a rod, otherwise you'll blow another topend from piston slap.

Iliketogofast
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys, but I've already sent in the bottom end to the local shop. I can redo a topend but I just don't think I'm mechanically apt enough to split the cases and crap. Thanks.

TC426EX
07-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Splitting the cases really isnt bad at all. The trick is to put the engine on one side and pull one half off the top. That way everything remains in its proper place and you dont have to worry about getting the tranny all out of order. Once you have it apart like I just said, you can easily pull the crank assembly straight out without disturbing the rest of the internals...