PDA

View Full Version : full suspension

bdub
06-26-2005, 03:18 PM
this is my thrid season riding and want to get better susupension. I have a bout 3-4000$ cnd would this be enough to do the front and rear suspension(including arms). How much have you guys sunk into suspension.

I have new tie rods and universal joints.

06-26-2005, 04:23 PM
hmm 4 grand i say get PEP front shcoks and a PEP back shock and then get like LT denton a-armsand that will be like 2-3 hundred over with otu shiping

bdub
06-26-2005, 04:33 PM
what do you think of the elka shocks there about $100 bucks cheaper but in the long run are they noticably cheaper made?

Or should I just go with the alba front suspension kit?

06-26-2005, 05:47 PM
ive rode yfz's with PEP and then yfz"s with elkas and its a huge dif. the PEPs are so smooth but if you bomb it off something they soak it up if its only 100 bucks dif. the PEP's are well worth it

tater_kamik
06-27-2005, 12:50 AM
with that much you can get a full long travel suspension and have enough left over for a hooker!! im not sure how much i have put in, probably over 2grand and i have burgard arms with works shocks. wish i had enough for long travel!!

bdub
06-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Well it helps that I'm a parts manager for a dealership(car). I have a lot of friends that ride so I setup accounts with offroad companies and sportbike places. I get my stuff for cost from them for my buddies buy there stuff (which they get damn near cost).

Anymore suggestions would be very helpfull.

I will be goign long travel for sure just haven't made my mind up on what type. I read a lot but there is more a ss kissing out there than truth.

raptorrider686
06-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bdub
what do you think of the elka shocks there about $100 bucks cheaper but in the long run are they noticably cheaper made?

Or should I just go with the alba front suspension kit?

Elkas are the best out there right now. Go with the Elkas

MadDog56
06-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by raptorrider686
Elkas are the best out there right now. Go with the Elkas

I can think of 4 companies that make better shocks than elka...

raptorrider686
06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Name them. Not saying there isnt I just wanna hear them.

MadDog56
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Name them. Not saying there isnt I just wanna hear them.

Do you know there are more than works and elka?

Custom Axis, PEP, Ohlins, and Kings.

TCS is about as good as elka for less $$$.

06-28-2005, 06:41 PM
ya man elkas and works are **** compared to the others

raptorrider686
06-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Elkas are not ****. And for there price there awsome.

MadDog56
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Elkas are not ****. And for there price there awsome.
Elka elites are the good shocks, and by the time you add all of the options to them they are twice as expensive as the recreational shocks.

tater_kamik
06-29-2005, 01:01 AM
if they are good enough for the pro mx and stadium guys, they are good enough for me...

BFELIX
06-29-2005, 03:02 AM
i'm fro europe, and ohlins is an european company, but i allways knew that Axis was the best of the best..and then Elka...

i have Elka in my RAptor..and i'm very satisfaid with them...

Olhin is not a very good shock..it's my opinion...:ermm:

MadDog56
06-29-2005, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
if they are good enough for the pro mx and stadium guys, they are good enough for me...

Do you realize that most of them are given the shocks by Elka to run them as a part of a sponsorship package?

Gary Denton ran ohlins on his bike...

First off the guy didnt ask for the best mx suspension. From my guess, a raptor owner isnt going to be looking to land 90' triples. Elka is overblown and over rated. AXIS and PEP make better MX and XC shocks hands down. Kings makes better desert and dune shocks. Ohlins makes better all around shocks.

BFELIX, ever had ohlins on your bike? Do you think there is a reason why ohlins is the biggest european atv and bike shock company? Or why almost all aftermarket suspension on street bikes and a great deal of dirt bike suspensions are ohlins? Check the paris-dakar rally, ohlins is all over it. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I just think you are wrong and I've seen enough to convince me of it.

BFELIX
06-29-2005, 07:00 AM
MadDog56...

it's just my opinion...

and i respect your's, but the last year was a Bombardeir/elka rider that win the Dakar Race( next year start's here in Lisbon)

even beeing a european and the biggest shock's seller ohlin's does not sell more atv shocks than Elka here...

In my opinion i still think that Axis is the best!!! we dont have here pep shock's...and Elka just rules in this lands....because they are cheaper that axis and better than ohlins..ohlins is great is other areas...not in atv racing..even beeing MX, Crosscroutry or Baja races...(thats what's more in here)...

my opinion... (sorry for the bad english)

bdub
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Most of the time I will be trail riding. I live in the mountains so 95% is trail. The trails are very ruff and lots of wash out so I'm looking for something to smooth it out. The other 5% of the time I go to the lakes where we have some dunnes. Just looking for all around shocks. Not for racing or competition. Thanks for the advice eh, keep it comin.

tater_kamik
06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
i am aware that elka basically gives them out, but all of these shocks mentioned are high end and extremely good. but if these guys can compete on them and win then... all of these shocks are used in competition but i do not believe it is the shock company that gets the win, rather the rider. i like ohlins a lot, been wanting them on my gsxr.

if you are doing hard woods riding, i would get the larger shaft diameter, they will be a little bit sturdier. i have the works with rezzies on my raptor and they are good enough for me but i do want to upgrade to long travel one day.

tater_kamik
06-29-2005, 10:52 PM
oh, and i am a raptor owner but i do atleast try to do big jumps, even though the raptor is a porker...

Racing Rice
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
I personally would go with...

Front:
Long travel TCS shocks and Long Travel +1 +0 Houser Racing arms (or whatever brand you desire).

Rear:
Then have your rear shock rebuilt by TCS, and maybe buy a longer +1 Swing arm, etc.

Braided brake lines all around.

Take the extra money you have left and buy some Hiper wheels and tires, or do some engine mods.

bdub
06-30-2005, 05:29 PM
elka seem to be the way to go. I've heard nothing but positive thiings about them. As for a rear swing arm I'm not sure. Would I just be better off going with a wider axle? I'm running 18" holeshots with beadlock rims.

Racing Rice
06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I would stick to 20 inch tires for trail riding, but thats my opinion. I would definately get a wider axle. A little longer swingarm would be nice for hill climbing, other then that the stock length is fine for me.