PDA

View Full Version : Which Shocks are better?

Sjorge450R
06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
I am a PA Harescramble rider and i am going to purchase aftermarket shocks for my 2001 300EX and i am wondering which shocks are the best for this type of racing. I already looked in to Elka, but the prices are too high. I know someone with Works shocks on a 70 and they are awesome. Does anyone know if the big quad models are the same. If you have any suggestions or opinions please tell me. I am open to anything you have to say. Thanks.
And by the way, I am still using stock A-arms.

FoxRacing81
06-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Works are a ton better then stock, but then again, Elkas are a ton better then Works.

For Racing, I'd suggest Dual Rate Elkas w/o Rezzys(since you cannot run triple rates unless you get a shock bracket relocator). They should be only $450.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43974&item=4558692703&rd=1)

Works Dual rates with Rezzys are about what, $440 or maybe more?

If it were me, I'd go for the Elkas. They are a ton better then Works. JMO.

-Justin

BTW, Where in PA are you?

Sjorge450R
06-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Im starting to like those Elkas, but wont they start bottoming out quicker thank the works with rezzies. My race is 1 and 1/2 hours will i be fine without rezzies?

Sjorge450R
06-26-2005, 03:08 PM
and i was just reading that i can make these have rezzies. how much will that cost 200+?

FoxRacing81
06-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
and i was just reading that i can make these have rezzies. how much will that cost 200+?

if you ride Very hard, they you might notic some fade..as far as upgrading...around 200 is probably right. You'd have to call up Elka and ask them though.

I think the ride would be so much better even without rezzys then the works though.

Sjorge450R
06-26-2005, 03:23 PM
looks like i am probaly getting the elka... thanks for the help.... and do you have any knowledge on exhaust pipes for the 300ex. Which is going to give me the best boost for harescrambles. (lots of turns, hills, not much open running.)

FoxRacing81
06-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
looks like i am probaly getting the elka... thanks for the help.... and do you have any knowledge on exhaust pipes for the 300ex. Which is going to give me the best boost for harescrambles. (lots of turns, hills, not much open running.)

Basicly, all exhaust pipes do the same thing, and unless you are building a race motor, you won't notice a difference.

For harescrambles, I'd suggest an HMF slip on or a White Brothers E-Series Slip on with a UNI Filter (unless you already have a filter) For trails and hill climbs, I'd also suggest going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket. This will give you more torque, but loose top speed, which isn't needed most of the time in harescrambles.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just lemme know.

-Justin

06-26-2005, 05:58 PM
i wouldnt go with the slip-ons or a wb pipe white bros. suck...... alot and you will get sooo much more preformance with an over size header, and those elka are great and all but i dont thik they are worth a whole grand for front and rear

Sjorge450R
06-26-2005, 06:03 PM
im just putting them on the front... the only thing is they are non- adjustable. And you are the first one with a negative white bro comment.... I think the best thing i can do is try them out myself because i am getting mixed reviews.

rob-u/21
06-26-2005, 06:15 PM
As for shocks, I would go with a Elka dual rate compression only piggyback shock. The reason I say compression only is because you gain an extra 3/4 inch of shaft travel which equal to 2 inches of wheel travel with a compression only shock. Exhuast, any exhuast will work, just make sure it has a spark arrestor since you are going to be racing harescrambles.

FoxRacing81
06-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
i wouldnt go with the slip-ons or a wb pipe white bros. suck...... alot and you will get sooo much more preformance with an over size header, and those elka are great and all but i dont thik they are worth a whole grand for front and rear

Really? You better go tell Tim Farr he's using a pipe that sucks.

I've used White Brothers pipes on all my quads with nothing but good things to say.

JRP
06-26-2005, 08:02 PM
yea get elkas. im gettin some for my 450 when i get the money.

sampleez
06-26-2005, 10:22 PM
an elka dealer told me it costs about 375 to get the rezzies added later. so if i were you, i'd get the non rezzies first, and then decide if you need the rezzies. either way, the price ends up about the same.

<DRS>GPF
06-27-2005, 05:39 AM
after trying both, and even recently having another go at each again (neither with rezzy's), i still like my works better.
they feel much more plush on landings and typical trails.

i dont race though, so that may change the perspective. on a smoother track elkas may be better for big landings, but they seem pretty stiff and noticably less forgiving on the trail.

my works are going back in to have the rezerviors added, which would be my only regret.. i shoulda got them to start.

spend the extra up front and get the added adjustment no matter which brand.