PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Time?

rooster300ex
06-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Alright today i changed the oil in my 300ex. i put 1 1/2 quarts and fired it up and let it idle for alil bit then checked it again without screwing the dipstick back in and it was just on the tip of the stick so i put just alil more and rode it around the block and then i checked it again and its barely on the tip of the stick. what should i do? i always have bad luck at changing oil. last time i changed it i went and rode and i pulled the sleeve down in the engine.

DeerNuts
06-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Alright today i changed the oil in my 300ex. i put 1 1/2 quarts and fired it up and let it idle for alil bit then checked it again without screwing the dipstick back in and it was just on the tip of the stick so i put just alil more and rode it around the block and then i checked it again and its barely on the tip of the stick. what should i do? i always have bad luck at changing oil. last time i changed it i went and rode and i pulled the sleeve down in the engine.

1. How the hell did you check your oil w/o screwing the dipstick in:huh Of course it would only be on the top if it was low and you didnt put it all the way in.

2. You always have to add more oil after running the bike a bit. The oil circulates into the motor and then you add more obviously.

3. How can anyone have "bad luck" changing oil:huh You keep adding/checking until it is at the proper level. What is so hard about it??:confused:

rooster300ex
06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
First of all the manual says not to screw the dipstick in. smartass:mad: your werent much help bud.

06-26-2005, 05:42 PM
you should only let it warm to check the it if you also replaced a filter but like the other guy said just keep adding oil till its the right level, and how did you manage to pull the sleeve :eek2:

DeerNuts
06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
First of all the manual says not to screw the dipstick in. smartass:mad: your werent much help bud.

Well sorry. Didnt mean to come across so negatively. I always just checked my oil on the 400ex that way. Never looked at a manual for how to change oil so I guess Ive been shown wrong. Sorry man.
But my other points were right. Just keep checking/adding/checking till its at the proper level. The markings on the dipstick will let you know obviously when you are at the proper level.

rooster300ex
06-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
you should only let it warm to check the it if you also replaced a filter but like the other guy said just keep adding oil till its the right level, and how did you manage to pull the sleeve :eek2:

To answer your question. The third ride after i got my topend rebuilt,i changed the oil and went and rode with a bunch of 400ex's & a modified atc250r, anyways i was romping around with them and my engine started blowing oil out the overflow tubes and then on the ride back it pulled the sleeve down into the engine. i think i overheated it or the mechanic sucked. it jerked the sleeve right down in it. because it did that it did damage to the gears on the crankshaft so the counterbalancer isn't in it,but its hopped up.