PDA

View Full Version : flipping front wheels.(moving valve)

04blasterboy
06-26-2005, 04:42 AM
hey guys im a little stuck..i was bored today and i just thought i would try to flip my front wheels to add a a bit more width..so i turned em over and i noticed that where the nuts go on the outside there is a chamfer for them...and if i flipped the wheels the chamfer would be on the inside...do u guys thing it would be ok even if the nuts dont have the chamfer on the outside?....i am buying tubes for my tires and drilling a new hole for the valve..

thanks guys

Hammer trx450r
06-26-2005, 04:57 AM
all u need is 2 more valves. Take the ones u got in there and turn them over so they point in. And drill other side of rim to recieve new valve stems.

04blasterboy
06-26-2005, 06:12 AM
man ur a genius..
do many people flip their wheels?
and are u sure the valve pointing in wont pop out because the pressure is pushin the opposite way?
i will try it..thanks for the help

Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
all u need is 2 more valves. Take the ones u got in there and turn them over so they point in. And drill other side of rim to recieve new valve stems.

Hammer trx450r
06-26-2005, 07:17 AM
its the low budget way to get width, it'll be fine. No way can the air pressure open the valve.

If u buy the chrome bolt on stems, its even easier.

Cons of this is more bumpsteer and puts more stress on the bearings and balljoints.

04blasterboy
06-27-2005, 01:51 AM
hey i made this diagram today and i just wanted to show u this and get some answers to my questions..

1.why are the bolts on the 450 not flat?

2. if i turned around the rims..(the ???????? on the pic) would be facing inwards and the bolts would not go on the right way..

3. does anyone have pics of how the turned around their rims..

Hammer trx450r
06-27-2005, 04:01 AM
nice picture!! Just turn the nuts over and use the flat side, maybe a washer could do u some good too.

The centering lugs are to take pressure off the stud and transfers the stress to the hub. But most aftermarket rims get rid of that theory anyway.

04blasterboy
06-27-2005, 04:46 AM
do you think i would be able to take the washer out of the hole and flip it around?

Hammer trx450r
06-27-2005, 06:01 AM
i dont think u can but give it a try.

blake_mx_racer
06-27-2005, 09:01 AM
You can, take a big punch and put in the hole as far as you can get it and hit it with a hammer and it will knock those washers out of the wheel.

hondaryder42
06-27-2005, 11:05 AM
putting the nuts on backwards or flat side in does NOT work!! the hole in the rim is bigger than the stud. they would not center properly. the taper is what centers the rim on the studs proper. just pound out the inserts or tapered seat and install them from the other side, then use nuts the normal way. they will not install flush but they will work 100 % i do this for ice and flat racing regularly but mostly for and 2nd set of rubber. its a bit too wide this way.

04blasterboy
06-27-2005, 03:20 PM
ok thanks guys..i will try to get it done this week and i will let u guys know how i go.
thanks
luke

04blasterboy
06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
hey guys.....it looks like the valve will hit the other side of the rim if reverse it.....
has anyone done this modification?
i really need this information...
thanks
luke

Hammer trx450r
06-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Stock width is really not that bad to be flipping rims. The down side outways the positive i would think.

hondaryder42
06-30-2005, 06:59 AM
ive never had a problem.... put the original stem in its hole backwards or inside out and drill a new hole on the other side !