PDA

View Full Version : Kane's Project R!!

250-R-250
06-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey, started looking for parts about a month ago...Here is the FRAME!!Man, sanding a frame is alot a work!
http://usera.imagecave.com/Kane/DSCF3464.JPG

250-R-250
06-25-2005, 08:18 PM
I need some help, where and how do you mount the airbox? the frame isnt done I still need to sand and do another coat..Thats why you can still see some red, because i am putting thin coats on.

kicken250x
06-25-2005, 09:03 PM
wait wait wait...youre painting it? if you are, the paint will chip on youre first ride if you dont get some SERIOUS clear on it. you might actually want to go have it PCed clear if you plan to do much riding on it.

250-R-250
06-25-2005, 09:04 PM
I am going to try painting it, I know I will put clear on it, any how alot of people told me that paint holds up just as good if prepped right

kicken250x
06-25-2005, 09:12 PM
they lied to you. PC is almost indestructable on a wheeler. i mean, of course if you smash into a rock or something it will chip it but it wont do like paint will. with paint once the clear starts chiping its hard to stop.

also why are you sanding between coats? if you are using rattle can or automotive style paint it will last for around 24 hrs befor it need to be scuffed. even then rattle can can be sprayed straight over, its properties let it adhear a lot better than automotive because the catylist is already in the paint and starts almost instantly.

06-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Use all duplicolor paints, and make sure its primed couple coats, (duplicolor sandable primer) sand the primer for good finish, then use any duplicolor enamel paint color you want, went sand with 600grit between coats, finally sand with 800 prior to clearing, put on a couple good hard enamel clear coats then wet sand with 1200 grit, then use Flitz to polish it up.

Yes you can avoid sanding between coats as long as you stay withing the Flash time of the paint, but for me after doing lots of painting letting it flash completely and sanding always gives the best results, up to you.

440exnacsracer
06-25-2005, 09:21 PM
glad to see you found one kane, wish it was mine:D but o well. painting is not a bad idea, i have gone both ways with pc and paint, and actually painted my predator. just sand it down real good, and get spray a sandable primer to spray over. then go to autozone or wal-mart even has it, and find the automotive style, touch-up type paint. autozone has basically every color ever sprayed on a production car. this paint has held up very well on mine and i do some pretty harsh riding. try not to get the coat to thick though or it will actually chip worse. i sprayed 3 coats over my predator frame and it turned out really well. let me know if you need anything.

440exnacsracer
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM
well, i was beat to it:p

250-R-250
06-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Hey, Do you still have that R!!!I will buy a few peices from you, I will send you a pm!!

kicken250x
06-25-2005, 09:25 PM
what dierwolf said is a good idea. DEFFINITELY make sure what ever brand you start with, if youre using rattle can, make you finish with the same brand. companies design their paints to be used together and not mixed with others. idr what its called right off, but standox (and im sure many other comainies but standox paint is mainly what i use) makes this stuff you mix in with your clear to blend clear like in jams and not so noticable places. what it does is actually melts the old paint to the new and makes the transition not so noticable and leaves no dry spray. but if you take and mix a 10-15 drops per oz or paint it makes the paint melt together also. lay down 2 good coats of clear then play 3 more down with about 20 drops per oz of clear you use and that makes for a strong paint job. but once again, keep in mind that its still not as strong as PC so keep some coverage on spots that are known for being scratched

250-R-250
06-25-2005, 09:27 PM
lol, I know its not as good as pc, but i dont have the money to ship the thing, anyways, I dont plan on bangin this thing in to any rocks!!!until its broken in of course...I will have some pics of the +3 housers on here in a couple days!!

kicken250x
06-25-2005, 10:21 PM
i wasnt bashing the idea by no means. i was just making sure you knew befor you took the time and put all that work into it and got pissed when it chiped like ive seen people do in the past MANY times.

anyways, enough with the paint BS what are the plans for this thing?

250-R-250
06-25-2005, 10:38 PM
MX!!Its getting Houser +3+1 Longtravels in a few days when the mail man shows up at my door, I wanna put a LSR +4 on it but I found a durablue for 100 shipped so I might do that, Its getting a No link swinger and shock, and the front shocks are either pep tcs elka or axis witch ever I find the best deal on, I like the peps though!!Its getting a 265 or up cylinder....and thats it, dont know about the bling bling what ever I got left lol goes to it..

250R-Dee
06-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Get a clear coat that is good for offroad/ATV use. My friend here in Okinawa with a Banshee bought a clear coat that is for ATV use but I can not remember the brand name. I'll ask him later tonight and post the brand for you.

Dee