PDA

View Full Version : Timing?

Oldrrider
06-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Can someone explain how to hook up a timing light/tachometer to my R? I have two manuals and neither will explain this hook up. It is running ratty on the bottom end and I have tried two carbs both with the same results. I tried air screw changes and different jets but nothing gets rid of it. I am thinking it may be a timing problem and would like to check it out with a timing light. Thanks.....sorry to be so dense!

06-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Take off the head and the ignition cover, move it to TDC and see if the flywheel is correctly falling by the pickup.

Dont see how it could go out of time unless the flywheel sheared off the Key and it rotated a bit... could be your coil going bad, break in spark plug wire and shorting out, water in plug area, cdi.

06-25-2005, 07:09 PM
PS..

Honda stators have a sheet metal plate riveted to one of the mount holes. This plate insures that the stator can only be installed in one position. If you want to adjust the ignition timing on a Honda you'll have to file the sheet metal plate, with a 1/4in rat-tail file.

With that said, i doubt its a timing issue.