PDA

View Full Version : 400ex sputtering

redexrider4290
06-25-2005, 05:19 PM
i have a 400ex i just got it was used and by the looks of it pretty beat up, its a 2004 well when im first starting it up you have to keep the gas on it and it stalls a good bit its like its really really cold buy its like 80 degreas out then after your get it runing i started to go up a hill after a runing it a couple of minuets and it sputterd and stalled out it did this like 3 times after i got it runing a good while it was runig fine (hot as crap but i guess its just something with the 400ex)

is there anything wrong with it you think or is it normal? o yeah i also have a recon that wont stay started at iddle it runs good but when you sit still it stalls out

06-25-2005, 05:23 PM
try foolin around with the idle screw thing

John Carvino
06-25-2005, 10:03 PM
if you can work on it yourself. take the easy small steps first. first start with fresh spark plug. id suggest cleaning the carb. my 2001 was a bear to start cold and popping back thru carb. carbs do not like to work backward and its way way no good for em. try fresh plug and clean carb. all the nucks and crannies. go cheap and easy first.

HondaEXrider22
06-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Yea do regular matenience(sp?) like said above. Clean carb, new spark plug, clean airfilter, change oil, fresh gas.

<DRS>GPF
06-27-2005, 05:55 AM
you might try running w/out an airbox lid to see if its better or worse before taking the carb apart.
it may give you direction while your cleaning the carb. also note the sizes if possible.