PDA

View Full Version : filter cleaning

redexrider4290
06-25-2005, 04:18 PM
wat should i use to clean my air filter and how should i clean it (like soke it ,squeez it and rinse it,wat?) and wat could i use to oil it back up after i clean it i dont have any filter oil so would WD-40 work or something and how should i apply the oil

thanks

2004exrider
06-25-2005, 08:05 PM
if stock, then ya wash it with water and soap and let dry. wd-40 i wouldnt do that id get some filter cleaner at your closest dealership, wd40 is not thick enough so id be afraid of it not filtering good. JMO, anyone correct me if wrong

Jimmy

06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah just clean it with soap and water and i would buy some filter oil there only like $5 a can and sooo much stickier than wd40

greg_gorrell
06-28-2005, 10:44 PM
im sure wd-40 would work alright for a little bit as long as you arent running in too much dust but definately go with the filter oil when you get a chance.

redexrider4290
06-29-2005, 08:10 AM
i went to an auto place near buy and the only filter oil they had was a k&n recharger i think the box was 13 would this stuff work for a stock filter (foam) and i have the airbox cover removed if that makes any difference

HondaEXrider22
06-29-2005, 09:56 AM
I get a bucket, fill with water and Dawn detergent, and work the filter good through water until original color(mines yellow) and the let it dry(all the way) and spray with PJ1 filter treatment and work that through inside and out. Done

99_300ex
06-30-2005, 12:53 PM
i get a hot sink of water with dawn soap and when it is completely dry i just put motor oil in it but sometime i plan on switchin to filter oil cause it is so much thicker.

ryann mx68
06-30-2005, 01:07 PM
r u kidding? put some gas in a small tub/pan, soak air filter in it, squeeze out, repeat until clean.

let air dry or help it with paper towels.

pour on filter oil and work into filter with your hands.

once oil is worked in, squeeze out excess.

set aside for 20 minutes to let oil get tacky, yes it actually gets tackier and evaporates some.

this is for any foam filter,[stock, uni, twin].

400exrider707
07-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
r u kidding? put some gas in a small tub/pan, soak air filter in it, squeeze out, repeat until clean.

set aside for 20 minutes to let oil get tacky, yes it actually gets tackier and evaporates some.

You must be kidding actually, because your not supposed to use gas at all to clean an air filter as it WILL eventually fall apart because the gas is harmful to the glues used to hold the filter together.

Also the K&N recharge kit is only good for gauze type filters, so if you have a stock one or a uni just go get some foam air filter oil at you nearest dealership. The PJ1 in the spray can is good, but if you clean and oil all the time like we do we just buy the bel ray stuff in a bottle pour a little into a rubbermaid container and spin the dry filter through it and work it in, then squeeze out he excess.

I-7
07-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by ryann mx68

A lot of people use gas but it is not good for the filter at all. What works good for me is to spray it with PJI filter cleaner (blue can) until the whole filter is covered pretty good then just rub it around it is tacky and will get all the dirt out to the surface then you can just run it under the sink or hose till it is clean and then let it dry. You can squeeze it to get the water out but do not ring it. Paper towels and a hair dryer will work if your in a rush but otherwise just let it sit in the sun for a good amount of time.

blastereatin250
07-03-2005, 08:36 PM
kerosene works pretty good.

Scott-300ex
07-05-2005, 12:06 AM
KEROSENE

best thing ever

ryann mx68
07-06-2005, 10:18 AM
ive always used gas to clean filters and have never had any probs with it ruining the elements or damaging the adhesive.
thats a bunch of bull@#&*

never seized a motor either.

they dont recommend gasoline, because they cant, its flammable!

you can use whatever you want, but gas works and it does no harm to your foam filters.

i have 2 filters that i rotate, i always put a clean filter in before every ride. my filters get washed in gas twice a week, ive been doing this for 10 years with no problems. my mx bikes, quads, lawnmowers, anything with foam filters.

use what works for you, thats all.

but this works for me, practicing, racing and never had any motor seizes because of sand through my filters.