PDA

View Full Version : ticking...

400exrider36
06-25-2005, 02:40 PM
my engine makes a ticking sound if i punch the throttle at low rpm. it is coming from the right side of the engine(pipe side) i did a search on this but i dont think its my valves because its only coming from the one side and it sounds like its coming from more down by the clutch cover. any ideas?:confused:

UglyMotha™
06-25-2005, 02:51 PM
check your timing chain tesioner sounds like maybe your timing chain is slapping around

400exrider36
06-25-2005, 03:01 PM
thats what i was thinking, but i thought that was on the other side of the engine....

UglyMotha™
06-25-2005, 03:29 PM
yup just looked at the fiche it is on the left side duh shoulda known

2001400exrider
06-25-2005, 03:39 PM
how do u check that? is it easy?

UglyMotha™
06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 2001400exrider
how do u check that? is it easy?

how do you check what :confused:

400exrider36
06-27-2005, 10:06 AM
i think he means the chain tensioner

tater_kamik
06-28-2005, 12:06 AM
i know how to do it on a yamaha but not sure on a honda b/c it has a different style. if i remember righton the 400, you can take a screw driver and bring it back a little, and then take the other two screws out, but i dont see why you would be worried about that since that is not where the sound is coming from. anyone?

jhoppa
06-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Okay, try the easy stuff first.

1) Confirm no exhaust leak

2) Confirm your head gasket is not leaking. Check all the way around. Look for wet spots, or a puff of compressed gas on the sides of engine.

3) Confirm you are not just hearing the decompression thingy on the cam. This makes a little 'tick' every revolution.

4)Timing Chain.... Maybe... How old is your engine?? 400ex have a self adjuster tensioner which can not be adjusted by the user. Take the tensioner off and reset it. 2-8mm bolts and a small regular screwdriver. Easy to do...

5) Put back in, if still making noise, might want to consider new timing chain.

400exrider36
06-28-2005, 09:09 AM
it ticks at random times, like "tick.........ticktick.........tick......tick..tick tick" yeah u get the idea:P, i checked for leaks and i found none. the ticking noise acually seemed to stop when i rode it yesterday, it only did it once... and because its coming from the right side of the engine, it wouldnt be the timing chain. i can only think of one other slight posibility. i was one of the lucky people who had my water pump seal go bad(i have a yfz by the way) where the antifreeze would leak out of that peep hole at the bottom. it took my awhile to realize what was happening and when i read about it, it said its possible to wear out other bearings and the shaft if u keep running it on the bad seal. when i took out the impeller and bad seal, the shaft did wiggle around slightly, it wasnt too bad(wasnt sure if it was supposed to), but as soon as i put the new seal in it was solid in place. maybe it has something to do with that:confused: ill try to check more on it today when i ride

jhoppa
06-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Ah.... thought you had a 400ex. I know nothing about the YFZ.