PDA

View Full Version : Heeli-coil Oil Tank?

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 01:12 PM
The threads on my drain plug on my oil tank came out like a piece of wire when I took the bolt out. So basicly there is no more threads in the whole. Would a heeli-coil replace this? Thanks

-Justin

jjm400ex
06-25-2005, 02:27 PM
dont know if i'd trust the heli coil.

jjohnst03
06-25-2005, 02:53 PM
I would use a tap and die. Thats how I always rethread holes. If you need to just go up a size and get a bigger bolt.

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jjohnst03
I would use a tap and die. Thats how I always rethread holes. If you need to just go up a size and get a bigger bolt.

It's a special bolt I think. Idk if a tap would work because of that.

spud400ex
06-25-2005, 03:15 PM
all i did when i striped out the threads on the oil tank was drill a jole in the head of the bolt and stick a peice of bailing wire thru the whole and then wrapped the wire around the frame. i also put some teflon tape on the threads to help seal it. its held up for like 3 months now

jjohnst03
06-25-2005, 03:16 PM
How is it special? Its a standard metric bolt as far as I have seen. Take the bolt to your local parts store and they should be able to match it to a nut and see what size it is. Then you will know what size taps you will need. I have done this on the rear diff on my 4x4 when i stripped the threads out of it.

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by spud400ex
all i did when i striped out the threads on the oil tank was drill a jole in the head of the bolt and stick a peice of bailing wire thru the whole and then wrapped the wire around the frame. i also put some teflon tape on the threads to help seal it. its held up for like 3 months now

The threads are coming out of the whole like a piece of wire though. The bolt wouldn't be able to turn in at all.

jjohnst03
06-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by spud400ex
all i did when i striped out the threads on the oil tank was drill a jole in the head of the bolt and stick a peice of bailing wire thru the whole and then wrapped the wire around the frame. i also put some teflon tape on the threads to help seal it. its held up for like 3 months now That may be a good temp solution, but I wouldnt trust my motor with that. I would for sure get it fixed the right way.

spud400ex
06-25-2005, 03:27 PM
the same thing happened to me when it striped out, there is just enough thread left to screw in finger tight.

i just been putting it off since up till this month i rode everyother day, but im gonna put a heeli-coil in it in the next week.

06-25-2005, 03:34 PM
do what jjohnst03 said ive done it on a couple dirtbike and havent had ne problems

chucked
06-25-2005, 05:11 PM
You are making this way more difficult then it needs to be, just buy another one off of here or ebay.

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by chucked
You are making this way more difficult then it needs to be, just buy another one off of here or ebay.

You want to pay for it?

I'm very limited in the money area.

prepracing
06-25-2005, 06:35 PM
you can get a used stock oil tank on ebay for $15 to $25 almost as cheap as a tap/drill bit and bolt would cost

chucked
06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
you can get a used stock oil tank on ebay for $15 to $25 almost as cheap as a tap/drill bit and bolt would cost

YUP! And if you are very limited to money, why do you have a 4 wheeler, these are high maintenance machines, which also means high dollars.

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
YUP! And if you are very limited to money, why do you have a 4 wheeler, these are high maintenance machines, which also means high dollars.

I just spent over a grand on my 426. And now I'm gonna have to spend another $200+ for new headstuds, gaskets, and maching and labor. I know how much money they cost. I've spent too much so far. And I know its not over. I will try the tap I guess. Cheapest one I have found was 10 bucks with 2 days left and 2 bidders...I think I'll try the tap first.

-Justin

chucked
06-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
I just spent over a grand on my 426. And now I'm gonna have to spend another $200+ for new headstuds, gaskets, and maching and labor. I know how much money they cost. I've spent too much so far. And I know its not over. I will try the tap I guess. Cheapest one I have found was 10 bucks with 2 days left and 2 bidders...I think I'll try the tap first.

-Justin

do you know how much a drill bit and tap that size will be?

prepracing
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
yeah go for the tap, and with those motor mods I would $ave up for an oversize oil tank

Franky G
06-26-2005, 03:28 PM
just tap it a new oil tank or used is just not worth it in your case.:cool:

chucked
06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
You guys must have never paid for a helicoil set before.

FoxRacing81
06-26-2005, 08:31 PM
You guys must have never paid for a helicoil set before.

It's on demand though. You go to store, buy it, install it, and yer done. With a new oil tank, you have to find, buy, wait for delivery, then install.

I guess if your paitent and dont care when you get to ride, you can wait. But most people want a quick fix so they can ride.

-Justin

chucked
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
It's on demand though. You go to store, buy it, install it, and yer done. With a new oil tank, you have to find, buy, wait for delivery, then install.

I guess if your paitent and dont care when you get to ride, you can wait. But most people want a quick fix so they can ride.

-Justin

For one I wouldnt trust a helicoil on a oil drain plug, and its super expensize and he said hes on a budget. A decent tap that size will be at least $40, and I think thats on the low side, then hes gonna have to buy a metric drill bit for it. Im willing to bet you wont even be able to find a helicoil set for this size he needs.

rummerd
06-27-2005, 06:10 AM
this is why most used bikes are junk, because people want a quick fis so they can ride. How many of us have looked at a used machine that has been neglected like this? How about this, if you would not have cross threaded the drain plug in the first place, you would not have to deal with any of this!

FoxRacing81
06-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by rummerd
How about this, if you would not have cross threaded the drain plug in the first place, you would not have to deal with any of this!

How does that help me at all? What the hell is wrong with people. I ask a simple question and it turns in to people who don't maintain there quad?
Just shutup and don't give your 2 cents where it isn't needed.
Probably try the tap thing today. and I'll keep looking for a new oil tank.

rummerd
06-27-2005, 07:03 AM
Well, you asked, and it seemed like for 25 bux you could have a good servicable tank, but you are trying to do some redneck engineering. If you can't properly screw in a simple drain plug, you probably should not be playing with taps and helicoils anyway.

FoxRacing81
06-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by rummerd
Well, you asked, and it seemed like for 25 bux you could have a good servicable tank, but you are trying to do some redneck engineering. If you can't properly screw in a simple drain plug, you probably should not be playing with taps and helicoils anyway.

For your information there bud, I didn't put it in. My mechanic was the last one to work on it and I was just taking it apart when I saw it like that. IDK what happened, but I'm pretty sure if my mechanic can put a new crank in my bike, he probably knows how to turn a bolt in.

rummerd
06-27-2005, 07:17 AM
hmmmm. Apparantly he doesn't. By the way, can he at least spell Heli-coil?

chucked
06-27-2005, 02:14 PM
HELI COIL PRICE > PRICE OF A USED TANK HERE OR ON EBAY

HELI COIL RELIABILITY < RELIABILITY OF A USED TANK HERE OR ON EBAY

FoxRacing81
06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
HELI COIL PRICE > PRICE OF A USED TANK HERE OR ON EBAY

HELI COIL RELIABILITY < RELIABILITY OF A USED TANK HERE OR ON EBAY

lol! oh well...you guys talked me into it. I give up. I am currently winning 1 on ebay. Time doesn't matter since my bike looks like this (see pic below), I was just simply stating a fact that most people would rather ride quick then wait for a part to be delivered.

-Justin

sportraxkid
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
I would just buy a used tank it would cost just as much as repairing yours and that would really suck if it came out while you were riding and burned it up.

FoxRacing81
06-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by sportraxkid
I would just buy a used tank it would cost just as much as repairing yours and that would really suck if it came out while you were riding and burned it up.

Yeah I did..I won an oil tank, oil cooler, and all the lines for 43 bucks shipped off of eBay. :)

RidrKFX
07-01-2005, 02:25 PM
the same thing happend to me on my KFX and i did use a heilicoil to fix it and it hasnt given me any problems sense i have put it in..it works fine

Sleeper
07-02-2005, 10:52 PM

-Justin

Buy a take off tank.

sleeper

chucked
07-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Sleeper
Buy a take off tank.

sleeper

?

Sleeper
07-03-2005, 08:42 AM
?

Used.... ebay.

chucked
07-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Sleeper
Used.... ebay.

I can see you did not bother to read the entire thread. I love it when people still keep giving advise even though the problem has already been solved.

Sleeper
07-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I can see you did not bother to read the entire thread. I love it when people still keep giving advise even though the problem has already been solved.

Sorry, missed it :ermm: