PDA

View Full Version : '86 r cutting out... possibly reeds?

400exracer511
06-25-2005, 11:57 AM
my friend has an 86 250r that he has had for a couple weeks and i ride 4 stroke so i dont know much about them. we were out ridin last night and we stopped to rest and when he got on it to go again it started running crappy. when you get it wide open it cuts out a little bit. it doesnt seem to be the kind of cutting out you get when it is jetted incorrectly though. i was wondering if maybe dirt can get in the reeds and mess things up like that. like i said i dont know much about 2 strokes so sorry for the crappy explanation.

if anyone has any ideas on what may be wrong please help

-- we already cleaned the air filter and changed the plug and checked the carb and it is clean. and we checked the new plug after ridin it a little and it looks to be a good color.

thanks

FoxRacing81
06-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Aftermarket reeds? Try this.

Flip the reeds. My R was doing the exact same thing and one of my buddies dads flipped them on mine and it ran perfect.

Change the plug, flip the reeds, and she should be good to go.

If they are stock, invest in some aftermarket ones :)

jd250r
06-26-2005, 06:00 PM
I had the same thing happen to my '88 and after replacing the reeds and checking everything, it ended up being the coil. Try to find another coil and try it, I bet thats it. Jesse

400exracer511
06-26-2005, 07:28 PM
thanks for the suggestions, flipped the reeds and it seemed to get worse so that tells me it probably is a reed problem, but just in case how much will a coil cost him?

400exracer511
06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
oh nevermind i was thinkin the coil was somthin different i see now that it is somthing you can easily borrow of another quad we will try that