PDA

View Full Version : *Woods or Not*

Joe400ex
06-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Alright i want to race gncc next year or in the future. I have been wondering i dont have the money for a bore right know so should i get HOTCAMS stage 1. If so will i see a big diff cuz if i get cams i want to make sure im getting my moneys worth. Also i dont ride alot of trails but i dont do alot of straight . The tracks i go to are kinda the both so should i keep my sprockets the same because i dont wat to go to a 14 tooth in front and 39 back if im still in the starights. i already go throught my gears fast enough. thank you guys please help.

DH400EX
06-25-2005, 11:58 AM
with the mods that are in ur sig. jus drop a tooth in the front and u should be fine.

06-25-2005, 11:59 AM
i got a hot cam for my yz250f and pit bike and i love them but i have heard some horror stories about them flyin though the gas tank on 400exs but that might have been becuase of the people that installed them but still i think webcams would probly be better for the woods

2004exrider
06-25-2005, 12:10 PM
id say go for the stage 1 since your still on the stock bore. its a good cam because you wont loose any bottom end, youll gain good midrange and gett a little topend power

jak1389
06-25-2005, 05:44 PM
actually the hotcams stage 1 is for low to mid power upgrades. it might also add alittle on top but im not sure about that.

400exrider707
06-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
i got a hot cam for my yz250f and pit bike and i love them but i have heard some horror stories about them flyin though the gas tank on 400exs but that might have been becuase of the people that installed them but still i think webcams would probly be better for the woods

There is no physical way that a cam could shoot up through the gas tank. For one its connected to the bottom end with the cam chain. Secondly all of the upward pressure is being applied to the rockers so if anything shot up at all it would just be the valve cover. Maybe it was just an expression you were using but I have never even heard of anything going wrong with a 400ex that was cam related.

Also all of the cams are going to add mid to upper end power, its just that stage 1 you wont lose any bottom, where as stage 2 and stage 3 you WILL lose some bottom, so basically its going to give you more top end but its just how much top end you want and how much bottom end your willing to lose.

brian-250
06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
if you want to race cross country, DO SHOCKS FIRST!!! suspension is key in woods racing, if you have a completly bulit motor meaning somehting like a 426 with a stage 2 cam head porting aftermarket carb and filter and a full pipe and no shocks to soak up all that power you prolly wont last one lap, but do whatever floats your boat, just my 2c/t worth.

06-25-2005, 07:24 PM
yeah the cam didnt actualy go through the gas tank it just busted through the topend that was just the one i saw though i have heard of a few others but i think it was defective didnt they have alot of problems when they first came out for the 400ex or might have been a crappy install :ermm:

Dave400ex
06-25-2005, 08:39 PM
For XC Racing get the TC XC Cam. It is great for woods riding/racing, I love mine.

DeerNuts
06-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by yzfmxer
yeah the cam didnt actualy go through the gas tank it just busted through the topend that was just the one i saw though i have heard of a few others but i think it was defective didnt they have alot of problems when they first came out for the 400ex or might have been a crappy install :ermm:

If a cam actually came out thru the topend, I would kick the **** out of whoever put it in. It has to be about the easiest thing you can install in the 400ex's motor, second only to exhaust. I dont see how it could break thru the topend; well I guess I can, but still...

I have never heard of major cam issues on the 400ex. Why would there be? Are you talking stock? or aftermarket?

Joe400ex
06-26-2005, 04:09 PM
i think ill just go with a front sprocket and cams . people tell me that hotcams stage 1 is almost like stock. if i do a 14tooth front sprocket and cams will i see a big diff. or will it just fell alil quiker.