PDA

View Full Version : is long travel worth it? What is the best suspension setup on the 250r

slamdak8782
06-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Is long travel woth the money and what is the best setup on a trx250r for a combination of cross country and motocross as far as suspension is considered

EvilJester400EX
06-25-2005, 01:01 AM
If you have the money, long travel is the best way to go.

Nick110
06-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Long travel is deffinatly the way to go. u will not be disappointed. its just the cost that pushes everyone away from them

rob-u/21
06-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Yes, long travel is worth the money. As to what is the best set up? I dont think their is one clear winner. Now there are so many different suspension and a arm builders you have a lot to choose from. It all depends on how much money you want to spend, what a-arm style you like best, and what suspension you like best.

Nick110
06-25-2005, 03:29 PM
as far as shocks go with Elka, PEP, or Custom Axis. for a arms its how much u want to spend and what style u like. i would go with walsh race craft, roll design, LSr, laeger, herman.

DaveEX7
06-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Custom Axis fully adjustable... and JB LT a-arms:D

nacs400ex
06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
JB/Laeger, Walsh, JRD, either of those 4 depends on $$.

Out_Sider
06-27-2005, 11:15 AM
my dad is wantin to go Laeger Protrax front on our 450 and LSR outlaw rear end. All on Elka's redone by Precision Concepts

if you ask me that is about the best combo you can get besides walsh

slamdak8782
06-27-2005, 09:34 PM
As far as setup I was trying to figure out whether or not say like plus 2 or plus 3. I also see a lot of a arms for atvs with +1 arms so like one inch forward. How much wider is the best for cross country and motocross mixture of riding. I know these are really different types of racing but where is the middle ground if there is one.

EvilJester400EX
06-27-2005, 09:39 PM
+1 would be a good mix of both. Houser is the only company I know of that makes a +1 LT setup. I don't like Houser, but I'd outfit that with a set of Custom Axis shocks.

06-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
+1 would be a good mix of both. Houser is the only company I know of that makes a +1 LT setup. I don't like Houser, but I'd outfit that with a set of Custom Axis shocks.

herrmann also does, as well as ars-fx and lsr

rob-u/21
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
What do you do more? mx? or xc?. I would go with +2. And the maker depends on how much you want to spend.

EvilJester400EX
06-27-2005, 11:19 PM
I didn't know Ars-FX did, I'd definitely recommend them then. If he was going with the +3LT setup I'd recommend Viper.

06-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I didn't know Ars-FX did, I'd definitely recommend them then. If he was going with the +3LT setup I'd recommend Viper.

yep Ars-fx makes a XC style long travel setup, chris borich is running it, im not sure if its a full inch tho, may be only 1/2''

EvilJester400EX
06-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I thought they only made them for newer style production quads.

06-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I thought they only made them for newer style production quads.

didnt notice he said 250r, im not sure they do, i kno lsr does

TORO1968
06-28-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm running a Houser +1/Elka LT setup, and it is pretty darn sweet... The a-arms are very well made and are properly engineered. The shocks work great and have handled everything I have thrown at them.

Out back I'm running the stock swingarm with an LT Elka shock/linkage combo and an LSR axle. This setup seems to work just as well as the front setup.

So far I couldn't be happier... :D

bwamos
06-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Get +2w +1f a-arms
and get
3/2 Wheels for MX and
4/1 Wheels for XC

this is my reccomendation.

Elka's are the best bang for the buck on shocks, and my reccomendation.

Out_Sider
06-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Get +2w +1f a-arms
and get
3/2 Wheels for MX and
4/1 Wheels for XC

this is my reccomendation.

Elka's are the best bang for the buck on shocks, and my reccomendation.

Elka's are the most expensive shocks out right now dude

06-28-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
Elka's are the most expensive shocks out right now dude

no they arent, axis costs a lot more then elka

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 10:27 AM
My Axis were 1375. (19 inch triple rate, dual adjust)

rob-u/21
06-28-2005, 10:32 AM
I dont agree with that best bang for buck deal on elkas. You might be able to say that about tcs shocks. Right now I think FOX air shocks are the most expensive, then AXIS or OHLINS, then ELKA, then TCS, and last but not least are WORKS.

06-28-2005, 10:33 AM
My Axis were 1375. (19 inch triple rate, dual adjust)

thats exactly y i didnt go with long tavel, i figured i could spend half the amount and get normal shocks, then get them redone by a good company and have them work as good or better then an lt setup, but if i did mx that would be all that i would buy

06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by rob-u/21
I dont agree with that best bang for buck deal on elkas. You might be able to say that about tcs shocks. Right now I think FOX air shocks are the most expensive, then AXIS or OHLINS, then ELKA, then TCS, and last but not least are WORKS.

o ya i forgot about them, u have the right order then Fox, Ohlins, Axis, Elka, TCS, Works but the best bang for the buck would be TCS, but elka is a lot better and you only pay like $100 more, might as well get the best if its only $100 difference, i only ride elkas, they are the best out there in my opinion

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
might as well get the best n

Custom Axis. ;) lol

PEP is actually more expensive than Custom Axis, can't believe you guys forgot about them.

06-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Custom Axis. ;) lol

PEP is actually more expensive than Custom Axis, can't believe you guys forgot about them.

o ya forgot bout them lol...2 many companies :eek2:

Warnerade
06-28-2005, 10:48 AM
thats exactly y i didnt go with long tavel, i figured i could spend half the amount and get normal shocks, then get them redone by a good company and have them work as good or better then an lt setup, but if i did mx that would be all that i would buy you wont get a cheaper standard travel shock to perform better than a brand new custom axis LT shock..no matter who valves it.

i can get Elka high and low end adjustable LT fronts, and a high and low end adjustable LT rear shock with the linkage for 2719...

I can get Axis LT front and rear for just over 2k...

06-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
you wont get a cheaper standard travel shock to perform better than a brand new custom axis LT shock..no matter who valves it.

i can get Elka high and low end adjustable LT fronts, and a high and low end adjustable LT rear shock with the linkage for 2719...

I can get Axis LT front and rear for just over 2k...

axis doesnt make a linkage for 1, for 2, you can ask pappy about a standard shock performing as well as long travel, because it can, axis does cost more, i have my catalog right here, standard travel shocks are like $300 more

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Axis sends a linkage with their rear shock.

06-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Axis sends a linkage with their rear shock.

wow, i didnt kno that, how much travel are they getting out of the rear shock

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 10:59 AM
I can't remember what my buddy said.

bwamos
06-28-2005, 11:48 AM
the best bang for the buck would be TCS, but elka is a lot better and you only pay like $100 more

Not to get into an argument.. but I read that as elkas being the best bang for the buck.. lol.

Dollar for Dolar elkas are the best IMHO. Fit, Finish, Performance, Durabiliity, Service, all weighed against price make them the best in their class. Price being an issue of course.

I personally run works because they worked for what I wanted. (and when I got the Works 1998, Elka didn't even make ATV shocks that I'm aware of, and the PEP ZPS system was just barely a twinkle in some engineers eye, lol)

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I would go TCS before Elka, I've never been a fan of Elka. All of my buddies have had bad experiences, valving, etc etc. I don't know, maybe they're a good shock, but the ones that I rode on I didn't like.

Warnerade
06-28-2005, 11:50 AM
axis doesnt make a linkage for 1, for 2, you can ask pappy about a standard shock performing as well as long travel, because it can, axis does cost more, i have my catalog right here, standard travel shocks are like $300 more lol...maybe standard is, but with standard travel axis, your still getting a top of the line shock..with elka, your just getting a regular tripple rate...but im not even talking about std travel shock prices....im talking about LT prices, becuase thats what this topic is about....and if you tihnk a works shock revalved by average joe will perform as good as an LT Axis shock..more power to you.

bwamos
06-28-2005, 11:56 AM
LT's (of the same brand) are just a LOT easier to dial in, on the riders end, because you have more room/movment to work with, IMHO.

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
It's not even about the extended travel, you only get about an inch and a half or two. Long travel is just much more responsive to the adjustments you make. The added inch or two definitely helps, standard travel shocks don't hold a candle to long travel, even if they are re-worked.

06-28-2005, 01:34 PM
who makes the best XC LT a arms for a 450r then? i heard herrmann makes some pretty good a-arms for XC, what do you guys think?

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Ars-FX.

06-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Ars-FX.

well i jus spoke to a friend of mine who really helps me with suspension setups, and he said that he wouldnt go with axis shocks right now since they booted out the top guy, he said if u want axis wait about a year cuz he said they really need to do some testing before you get anything of theres

so i was thinking maybe herrmann a-arms with elka shocks, or maybe lsr? who makes a +1 or less setup that can run elkas

how much does ars-fx cost?

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
The Axis deal wouldn't matter, they are still producing the same shocks.

06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
The Axis deal wouldn't matter, they are still producing the same shocks.

also im running into the problem that axis or ars-fx gives me no discount at all, while i can elkas for a good price, same with LSR/Herrmann/Houser/Arens a-arms, thats y i am wondering what the best LT a-arms would be for XC application with elka shocks

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 02:00 PM
The new Lonestar a-arms that are similar to the Ars-FX design would be the choice if I was going with XC, but I wouldn't care about a discount, "you get what you pay for".

06-28-2005, 02:04 PM
The new Lonestar a-arms that are similar to the Ars-FX design would be the choice if I was going with XC, but I wouldn't care about a discount, "you get what you pay for".

ya i kno what ur saying, so you think the LSR would be a good setup then with elka elite shocks? what do you think of the herrmanns?

TBD
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
The new Lonestar arms are fairlly similar. I wonder why the forward tube is over the shock mount but the rear tube is under the shock mount. The ARS-FX arms have both tubes over the shock mount. The rear tube is the lowest to start with as far as ground clearance goes. Just a thought.

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I never thought I would be saying this about Elka - that sounds like a good setup for woods riding (Elka and LSR). Send me a picture of the Herrmans, I've really never seen them.

06-28-2005, 09:23 PM
I never thought I would be saying this about Elka - that sounds like a good setup for woods riding (Elka and LSR). Send me a picture of the Herrmans, I've really never seen them.

you can c the herrmanns at www.herrmannracing.com then go to the honda section, then 450r, then they will be towards the bottom/middle

EvilJester400EX
06-28-2005, 09:25 PM
From the pics, the LSR a-arms will give more ground clearance, go with LSR.

06-28-2005, 09:35 PM
From the pics, the LSR a-arms will give more ground clearance, go with LSR.

ok LSR/Elka i hope it runs good, cuz all u guys say long travel is better, hopefully it really is, i dunno wether axis or elka would suit me better tho, only prob is i already have the elka rear setup and elka sponsors me, and i have no availibility to axis at all, so im probably going with elka

slamdak8782
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Wow the herrman long travel for 250r look great for the price. What about the new works with two lines they look better than any shock that Ive seen. If I had the cash Id buy them and put them with gibson longtravel A arms painted red. Has anybody had experience with American star products they look great and they fit my budget they are on ebay alot. Just wondered what people thought of them. I think they seem like an up and coming company. Any opinions on those

EvilJester400EX
06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
American Star products are complete crap. What exactly is your budget?

06-29-2005, 01:43 PM
do a-arms affect the performance of the shock, or does it not matter what a-arms u use they all function close to the same and ground clearance is the only thing to look for

rmw7949
06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
do a-arms affect the performance of the shock, or does it not matter what a-arms u use they all function close to the same and ground clearance is the only thing to look for

Every a-arm/shock set-up is differant. Sometimes even when it's the same shock body and a-arm it can still be set-up differant. Usually a set of shocks are set-up 4 a specific a-arm/swingarm mfg and the style. L/T,S/T, over length, etc. Do your homework, it's not something to experement with considering the cost. P.S. American Star is crap, thats why their on ebay all the time!

06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by rmw7949
Every a-arm/shock set-up is differant. Sometimes even when it's the same shock body and a-arm it can still be set-up differant. Usually a set of shocks are set-up 4 a specific a-arm/swingarm mfg and the style. L/T,S/T, over length, etc. Do your homework, it's not something to experement with considering the cost. P.S. American Star is crap, thats why their on ebay all the time!

well, what setup do you think would be the best for XC racing, does LT really make a differance over normal setup?

rmw7949
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
axis doesnt make a linkage for 1, for 2, you can ask pappy about a standard shock performing as well as long travel, because it can, axis does cost more, i have my catalog right here, standard travel shocks are like $300 more Should have started at the begining of this thread. Sounds like you all ready have it all figured out. Why don't u just pm Pappy?

06-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Should have started at the begining of this thread. Sounds like you all ready have it all figured out. Why don't u just pm Pappy?

i talked to him a long time about it, he said he has road some standard travels setups that are nice, and long travel setups that are nice also, im jus trying to figure out if LT really makes a differance or not, because im running the normal elkas right now and want to make the switch to LT if it really helps, but if its not very much of a change then i dont wanna spend the extra $

rmw7949
06-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I like L/T better. I think it's worth it. But if your talkin the best quality S/T shock on the best S/T A-arm. VS. The lower quality long travel set ups. Do the math. I dont know your riding style, don't know alot about xc. Its all personal pref.

06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
I like L/T better. I think it's worth it. But if your talkin the best quality S/T shock on the best S/T A-arm. VS. The lower quality long travel set ups. Do the math. I dont know your riding style, don't know alot about xc. Its all personal pref.

well it would be the best quality S/T shock on stock a-arms is what i have right now, which would be VS the LSR LT setup with the best shocks on the front (both are elka) I have never road on LT is why i am asking so many questions

rmw7949
06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
If your gonna use the same shock set-up I would say L/T over stock arms. That way shocks are easier to tune, more travel, more adjustability(camber and caster), and just a stronger better working front end all together.

nacs400ex
06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
As far as setup I was trying to figure out whether or not say like plus 2 or plus 3. I also see a lot of a arms for atvs with +1 arms so like one inch forward. How much wider is the best for cross country and motocross mixture of riding. I know these are really different types of racing but where is the middle ground if there is one.

If your going to do both XC and MX I would get +2 a-arms in combination with 4:1 offset while riding XC to bring it in an inch.

Now if your 250r is 86-87 I would get +1 forward a-arms aswell. To get the same geometry as the 88-89 250rs. In combination with this most people get a -1 swingarm to make it the same as 88-89 length. You could buy a aftermarket 88-89 stock length for the 86-87. Or you could mod your frame to accept a stock 88-89 swingarm.

As far as long travel goes, I had the same question last year. Well I talked to Jodie from JB, and he told me he doesn't even make LT for the 250r, because he claims there isn't enough travel gained to make it worth the switch over. Whether this is the case or not I opted for the standard travel for now in +3+1 JB's w/ Elka triple rates comp and rebound adjust. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

However next rebuild Im probably going to go for Walsh or the Laeger Pro-traxx. setup LT of course.

So if you know your going to want LT sometime down the road, do it now and save yourself the time and money.

Meat
07-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Back to the ARS\fx - 250r topic. There were some ARS\FX A-arms made for the 250r, but not many. ARS\fx does not make em for the ol 250r or the 400ex anymore.

Im using +1 ARS\FX a-arms on my 250r...... and like em alot. They were once Matt Smiley's arms.