PDA

View Full Version : LT250R Problem

95300exrida
06-24-2005, 10:10 PM
hey my friend just resleeved/rebuilt his 92 LT250R and when he was breakin it in he got antifreeze in the cylinder and blew it up.i was thinking that he maybe warped his cylinder or his head or he didnt torque the head bolts down correctly.or is it another problem?does anybody know what to torque the headbolts to?or what caused this problem?

prepracing
06-24-2005, 10:13 PM
not sure on the torque specs, but I would think if they were not torqued down correctly it could have caused a blown headgasket that would have let the anifreeze in

06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
i was thinkin the same thing

95300exrida
06-25-2005, 08:41 PM
any other way that antifreeze could have gotten into the cylinder? because his head gasket was fine

XCredrider
06-27-2005, 01:03 AM
I got an 86 trx250r and i had the same problem.. it was a bad water pump seal and it put my piston through my sleeve and cracked my cylinder. That is really the only other way that it could get in there that I can think of unless.

95300exrida
06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
unless what?

TRXRacer1
06-28-2005, 08:23 PM
It's not a water pump seal because you said it was in the cylinder. A water pump seal will let the coolant into the crank case which is seperate. Also I highly doubt that anti-freeze blew up the cylinder. A coolant doesn't have that power. Most likely the cylinder blew and when it let go coolant came in after it was dead from a warp or bad gasket. When you have a leak in the head, cylinder pressure will push out with more force then the coolant can push in.

XCredrider
06-28-2005, 11:50 PM
when it gets into the crank case it gets into the crank. on a two stroke that is the same place as the cylinder. It goes through the ports and then gets to the top of the piston. Trust me on this one, like i said before... it happend to me. Also... the piston isnt always causing pressure, it causes suction on the downstroke and then would suck in coolant. Please either tell about what you know from experiance or do not post. Buy the way when you say it blew up what ecatly happend? siezure, rod bent/broke, what? And i didnt mean to put unless... sorry for the confusion.
:D

TRXRacer1
06-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by XCredrider
when it gets into the crank case it gets into the crank. on a two stroke that is the same place as the cylinder. It goes through the ports and then gets to the top of the piston. Trust me on this one, like i said before... it happend to me. Also... the piston isnt always causing pressure, it causes suction on the downstroke and then would suck in coolant. Please either tell about what you know from experiance or do not post. Buy the way when you say it blew up what ecatly happend? siezure, rod bent/broke, what? And i didnt mean to put unless... sorry for the confusion.
:D I ment gear box, thanks for pointing out the mistake. Your still wrong though because if you knew more about your motor you'd understand how a bad water pump seal will NEVER allow coolant into the crank/cylinder area. Now this leads to your theory of suction. Please do us all a favor and stop posting garbage. If you knew what made your piston go down every cycle in a 2-stroke you'd know that there is no "suction" at all on the head. If you know what a spark plug does then you should be able to figure out why there will not be suction on a head in a 2-stroke ever. Good luck figuring it out and if you need help just let me know.:rolleyes:

95300exrida
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
it didnt really blew up but the rings got stuck in their grooves because metal from the piston sheared over them and held them in causing it to lose all compression.anybody on the torque specs for the head bolts?

XCredrider
06-29-2005, 11:12 PM
I din't understand how it would get into the cylinder from there either but a mechnic told me it happend. That was not wjata i thought happend but what i was told. Sorry about the "suction" part. I didn't mean it acyually sucked in but when the piston goes down and the exhaust is sucked out it would allow water to get in for a split second. After a short time of water getting in there over and over something is going to give. Sorry about the confusing once again and no offense to you trxracer. ;)

ilikedirtbikes
11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
torquing down the head is very critical when it comes to water cooled engins. I would try to get a new head gasket even though your old one looks fine. If you get a new gasket i would try it again with the right torque specifications