PDA

View Full Version : Time for another drop in from RideRed

RideRed04
06-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey kids, back again just to see whats up.

Here's what I've been up to:
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-rigs/albums/Jeffs-89-YJ/100_0284.sized.jpg

I still miss my EX, did the guy who bought it ever make it on here? (towed it over to your place with my jeep when it was smaller)

I was pretty pissed when I saw they gayed up the 400 plastic and added reverse..and that they are really dropping the ball on the 450 program.

flyin#5
06-24-2005, 07:02 PM
whats up man? that jeep is looking sweet, i think you need to get another quad and come out riding with us. nice to see ya around.

Derag2
06-24-2005, 07:42 PM
ummmm do you know you have those tires mounted on the wrong way..... there directionals for a reason and you got em going the wrong direction.....

RideRed04
06-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Derag2
ummmm do you know you have those tires mounted on the wrong way..... there directionals for a reason and you got em going the wrong direction.....

Trust me, I know what I'm doing..haha. Not many people run them the "wrong" way, but I'm working on changing a few minds. Works on the same principal as running paddle tires one way for high horsepower engines, and another for low. On my 4 banger jeep, it stays on top of loose sand, and it pulls the center of the tire to an obstacle rather then sliding off of it. I'm sure you will start seeing it more and more in the future. I did it as an experiment based on my past quad knowledge, and it worked out even better then I hoped.

Derag2
06-24-2005, 08:12 PM
i see people doing it........ i just wanted to point out they were directionals, i don't know you so i don't know how car smart you are and some "posers" to the offroad that didn't know anything about the tire. my bad........ so i take it you enjoy the MT baja tires, i've seem them run in mud and i wasn't too impressed with them at all. i'm sure there better in sand.

RideRed04
06-24-2005, 08:24 PM
i see people doing it........ i just wanted to point out they were directionals, i don't know you so i don't know how car smart you are and some "posers" to the offroad that didn't know anything about the tire. my bad........ so i take it you enjoy the MT baja tires, i've seem them run in mud and i wasn't too impressed with them at all. i'm sure there better in sand.

They've worked awesome in the mud for me, but I have a locked/spooled jeep. On a full sized truck with open diffs, they very well could suck. My next tires will be 36" biased iroc's. I avoid the mud though. I ride more technical/rock stuff. As for my car knowledge, I've done all the fabrication on the jeep, from re-doing the exhaust to a full on axle re-gearing/swap. I worked as a mechanic for a summer too, so I've been around most of it. Currently I'm rebuilding a 360 and 727 auto combo to swap in when I have more money.

Derag2
06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
if you gonna drop a V8 in it you should go with a 350 chevy. them 360s are weak. dodge gas motors are junk. I'm a ford guy so i aint trying to talk up chevies but i'm pretty sure they make kits to swap in a 350 chevy, parts are cheap and can make good power. But to each his own.

RideRed04
06-24-2005, 08:34 PM
if you gonna drop a V8 in it you should go with a 350 chevy. them 360s are weak. dodge gas motors are junk. I'm a ford guy so i aint trying to talk up chevies but i'm pretty sure they make kits to swap in a 350 chevy, parts are cheap and can make good power. But to each his own.

If I were going to do an optimal swap, it'd be a vortec 4.3. I got a grand wagoneer for $500 for my axles, so I still have lots of left over parts. The 360 is actually an AMC, no similarities to the dodge version. It's a 2bbl engine and puts out a whopping 175hp. The reason I want to use it is it puts out nearly 300ft/lbs of torque at around 2000 rpm. I'll most likely either go with an AL intake and a 4bbl, or TBI depending on how the money situation is. I like the low horse power because it allows me to keep axles alive, but the huge torque is there for low speed control. I may go to a dana 60 rear after I go 36's and V-8, but I'll wait until the 44 lets go. I'm a technical driver, so parts stay alive pretty good for me. I take it you are an off-roader, what's your setup?

Derag2
06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
your torque is gonna take out those gears faster than horsepower, torque is what does all the work not horsepower, torque breaks rearends,trannyies. horsepower is just for show.

good old wagoneer :) my friend bought one for a beater first time out mudding her it busted the transfercase, lol we tried pulling it out but the wheels were locked up solid, it froze and snowed that same night so we had to leave it on this mud road for a week before we could get it back out, we used a tractor and i had to push it with my 84 ford i had at the time........ those were the days... I had a 85 F-150 with 33's 4 inch lift and a 351W with your basic upgrades, i never shoulda got rid of that truck i regret it, but i picked up a 2000 F-250 SD powerstroke so its all good, but i'm looking into another play toy.

RideRed04
06-24-2005, 08:45 PM
your torque is gonna take out those gears faster than horsepower, torque is what does all the work not horsepower, torque breaks rearends,trannyies. horsepower is just for show.

good old wagoneer :) my friend bought one for a beater first time out mudding her it busted the transfercase, lol we tried pulling it out but the wheels were locked up solid, it froze and snowed that same night so we had to leave it on this mud road for a week before we could get it back out, we used a tractor and i had to push it with my 84 ford i had at the time........ those were the days... I had a 85 F-150 with 33's 4 inch lift and a 351W with your basic upgrades, i never shoulda got rid of that truck i regret it, but i picked up a 2000 F-250 SD powerstroke so its all good, but i'm looking into another play toy.

That's a tow rig, not a wheeling vehicle;) Haha.

Torque only tears **** up if you drive like a maniac. I'm more of one to use it for the slow speed control. If I really wanted to, I could trash the rear end I have now with my 2.5L and my low range gearing (7,699ft/lbs to the wheels in 1st/low). If I ever build another trail rig, it's going to be a waggy with the front spring over, the rear shackle flipped, 36ish tires, and trim the rest to fit. V-8, lots of flex, leather seats, A/C, and power windows...trail limo..haha!

Here's some more pics for the hell of it:

Next to my DD XJ before I built the tube fenders:
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-rigs/albums/Jeffs-89-YJ/Picture_027.sized.jpg

The donor vehicle:
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-rigs/albums/Jeffs-89-YJ/waggy.jpg

Derag2
06-24-2005, 08:51 PM
i'm trying to find a good 78-79 F-250 highboy for another mud truck but there not to easy to find around here. I just got to much stuff i wanna buy, i wanna do some stuff to my 4wheeler, i want a harley, i want a mud truck, i want a muscle car. lol i just can't decide what i really want so i'm just hording my money for now. if i rode trails it'd definately get a jeep and put a V8 in it. My dad loves jeeps his last 3 vehicles have been jeeps, 1 cherokee and 2 grand cherokees. there real nice vehicle, if i didn't like having a truck so much i'd buy a jeep grandcherokee, wranglers are just play toys as far as i'm concerned.

RideRed04
06-24-2005, 08:59 PM
i'm trying to find a good 78-79 F-250 highboy for another mud truck but there not to easy to find around here. I just got to much stuff i wanna buy, i wanna do some stuff to my 4wheeler, i want a harley, i want a mud truck, i want a muscle car. lol i just can't decide what i really want so i'm just hording my money for now. if i rode trails it'd definately get a jeep and put a V8 in it. My dad loves jeeps his last 3 vehicles have been jeeps, 1 cherokee and 2 grand cherokees. there real nice vehicle, if i didn't like having a truck so much i'd buy a jeep grandcherokee, wranglers are just play toys as far as i'm concerned.

Yup, they sure are. I DD'd my wrangler for 3 years before finally getting the XJ though. If I were you, I'd look around for a snowfighter f-250 rather then the highboy though. The snowfighter gets you the high pinion dana 60 up front. If you don't need the extra beef, you can easily sell that axle for $1500 in any condition. It's in HUGE demand in the rock crawling scene. Almost a bolt in to YJ's. Find some old guy who doesn't know what he has.

No comments on mud trucks over here though:huh :devil: :D