PDA

View Full Version : Shocks???

ATKnewbie
06-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I have a stock Unison 90 and would like to start building it up for my son.
The power is ok for now, I will go with one of Hetrick's kits once he needs more go.
My question is about shocks, the stock ones are terrible.
He will not be racing the quad, just riding it hard trying to keep up with me on the trails and in the dunes.
What would you suggest, Worcs or low end Elka?

AtvMxRider
06-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Elkas definetly

06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
works :D :D :D

newnick
06-24-2005, 08:21 PM
You can check something real easy on the front. Remove one of the shocks and see if the a-arm moves freely. On our Eton when I changed out the front end, while taking it apart I noticed thet the a-arm without the shock was very tight and didn't move much. Once I loosened the nut a little it would move freely. That might help some up front. In the back I've heard a longer swingarm will allow the stock shock to work better. Just something to think about. We have the Elka's and they are great, very adjustable.

qwadfather
06-24-2005, 10:55 PM
No offense but there are no low end Elka shocks. The less expensive simply do not employ reservoirs. They work better than anything else available for minis. We use 2 complete sets that we bought long before we became Elka dealers. I sell lots of shocks just because that what my race team runs. Also, they work great on trail machines too. They give a much cushier ride and more useful travel. Good suspension actually should be the first safety AND performance upgrade that one should consider. I won't cut down Works shocks, however, they have become almost as pricey as Elka. A couple of years back the Works were a great bargain but recently they've kinda overshot their market, price-wise. Hope this helps and if you want a price send an instant message. Ride safe, Ed.

http://www.lucky7racing.us/
e-mail at Qwadfather@Lucky7Racing.US

Livin4Real
06-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Also think about whether you will be widening the front as well. If you'll be adding +3 a-arms in the near future then you should buy long travel shocks and matching a-arms, instead of the standard length shocks. We run 12" elkas up front and a 13" rear on our kasea 90 with +3 a-arms and a +2 swingarm. The extra travel really helps on the big jumps.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-4/702601/GPEYV-Brandons8thBirthday024.jpg

ATKnewbie
06-28-2005, 05:34 AM
I was considering purchasing spacers, not sure if I can afford shocks and new arms.

Livin4Real
06-28-2005, 05:47 AM
totally understood, if you go with spacers shocks are a must as the extra leverage is too much for the stock shocks to handle.

ATKnewbie
06-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I know the obvious upsides of runing spacers, but are there any real negative sides?
I know that spacers are not as nice as extended arms, but for the cost savings and that my son does not plan to race...

Livin4Real
06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Usually the people that break them are the ones running them with stock suspension, if you run a quality aftermarket shock you shouldn't have any problems. I just ordered a set of spacers for the rear of ours due to a shortage of quality +4 axles.

Pappy
06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
spacers will be fine, especially if your child will not be racing, even on stock shocks.

spacers tend to add alot of bumpsteer or so im told. i have noticed that we are starting to eat tie rod ends and im pretty sure the wheel spacers are the culprits.

Livin4Real
06-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey Pappy, do you guys run billet or polymer spacers? I just ordered the durablue graph-lites for our rear, they were a little more than the g-force aluminum ones but I've had no problems with anything durablue produces.

Pappy
06-30-2005, 05:10 AM
mainly the polymer units, but i did try out a set of the screw on wheel stud extenders. both worked fine but i was skeptical about the screw on's.

Livin4Real
06-30-2005, 10:35 PM
same here, that's why I went with the graph-lites instead of the e-z fits. I think the studs all the way through are better than the extensions. The rims have to be reamed for the bigger bolt but it has to be stronger than the shorties.

QuadJunkies
07-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
totally understood, if you go with spacers shocks are a must as the extra leverage is too much for the stock shocks to handle.

yuppers, trust me.. My Son has hashed two full sets(stockers)
and are FINALLY going to get the poor kid some Works Shocks. We have been VERY pleased w/ my Daughters Works shocks on hers on her Kasea.

Arctic Cat Dad
07-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Anything is better then the stock shocks. It all depends on how much your willing to spend. Either Works or Elka's are useally what everyone runs. I myself bought Works because I spent a ton of money on other mods at the same time. But I would have liked a set of Elka's with rezzys. You will not believe how much faster your little rider will be once you get them set up. I had enough of seeing his little head about to shake off like them little bobble head dolls! He never complains of head shake any more! To me one should work on suspension before they spend the money on speed. Because if you can't handle it pinned wide open because it's to rough to handle why waste the money for the speed. But this is just my thinking!

qwadfather
07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
AMEN!

QuadJunkies
07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I agree too!!

One thing I can say about BOTH Elka and Works is I have had nothing but great customer service and FAst service at that! I called and ordered a set of Works A WEEK ago and got a call yesterday that they shipped out, they put a rush on them by a week so my boy would have them in time for the wk end. :cool: 9 day turn around is awesome!! Same for Elka, they even overnighted me a new tighter spring when I wasnt happy w/ the one I had now at NO CHARGE and threw in some shock covers too! :blah: you cant go wrong w/ either shock for the minis IMO. I personally was so happy w/ my Daughters is why I ordered a second set and the price was right